May 09, 2024, 04:02:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Finding concentrations from cell potential  (Read 7107 times)

Offline PhilMaq

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Finding concentrations from cell potential
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:57:20 AM »
I'm having trouble on how to figure out the last part of one of my hw questions.
Here's the given info. A voltaic cell has standard cell potential (E_cell) of 0.53 V.
Here's the balanced redox reaction : Zn(s) + Ni^2+(aq)-->Zn^2+(aq) + Ni(s)

Question: What are the concentrations of Ni^2+ and Zn^2+ when the cell potential drops to 0.45V?

I'm using this equation Ecell=(Ecell at standard conditions) - [(0.0592/n)(logQ)]
so... 0.45=0.53- [(0.0592/2)(logQ)]
(0.0296)(logQ)=.08
logQ=2.7
Q=501.19

so the concentration of the Zn2+ over Ni2+ is equal to 501.19....how do I figure out the concentration of each?
I have the answer btw, I don't need that. I want an explanation on how to do it. The answer is [Ni2+]=0.003M and [Zn2+]=1.60M

Offline fredp

Re: Finding concentrations from cell potential
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »
I think you can form another equation by the stoichiometry.  You know the relative amount of each of the reactants consumed.  This, combined with ratio you already calculated, should lead to the answer. 

Offline FreeTheBee

• Mole Snacks: +12/-1
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
You can interpret the question as: Assume the cell is built as a standard cell, so with unit concentrations/activities. Then, let it run until the potential drops to 0.45V. If you read it like this, you know the starting conditions, so you can calculate the final concentrations. I don't get the answer you gave though, the nickel concentration I get is reasonably close to the answer you posted, but the zinc concentration seems wrong to me.

Offline fairlady95

• Very New Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »
First, solve for Q using the Nernst equation. Knowing the formula:
Zn(s) + Ni^2+(aq)-->Zn^2+(aq) + Ni(s)

You know Q=[Zn2+]/[Ni2+]

The initial concentration of Zn2+ is 1.0M and the initial concentration of Ni2+ is 1.5M.
Using an ICE table,we obtain the formula for Q:

Q=(1.0+x)/(1.5-x)

Solve for x and then substitute the values in. I agree, the concentration of Zn in the answer is wrong.

Sponsored Links