May 16, 2024, 06:10:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ether Synthesis by SN2 Reaction  (Read 2649 times)

Offline aspiringphysician

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • ♥ sweet as C12H22O11 ♥
Ether Synthesis by SN2 Reaction
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »
For the questions in the attached picture, the answer key states that both of the answers are "A", but I don't understand exactly why. I would appreciate it if someone would explain to me why one alkoxide/halide pair is preferred over the other to make the target ether. Does it have to do with nucleophilicity? I'm very confused!  :-\ Thanks in advance!  :)
"Now, before you get all 'high-and-mighty', remember that some PLANTS have more complex genomes than YOU!" ~ Dr. Linn

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +323/-23
Re: Ether Synthesis by SN2 Reaction
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
What do you recall about good versus poor electrophiles in SN2 reactions?

• ♥ sweet as C12H22O11 ♥
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
What do you recall about good versus poor electrophiles in SN2 reactions?

In SN2 reactions, the less substituted the electrophile (substrate), the better it is, so a primary electrophile is a "better" electrophile than a tertiary one, is that correct?
"Now, before you get all 'high-and-mighty', remember that some PLANTS have more complex genomes than YOU!" ~ Dr. Linn

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +323/-23
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »
That is true, and there are side reactions possible with tertiary alkyl iodides.  A second thing to consider is the geometry of the transition state in the SN2 process, which is that the ideal angle between the nucleophile and the leaving group is 180 degrees.  See if you can apply this to one of the syntheses.

• ♥ sweet as C12H22O11 ♥
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
That is true, and there are side reactions possible with tertiary alkyl iodides.  A second thing to consider is the geometry of the transition state in the SN2 process, which is that the ideal angle between the nucleophile and the leaving group is 180 degrees.  See if you can apply this to one of the syntheses.

Ooohhh...that explains a lot! I think I get it now...thanks so much!  ;D

Sponsored Links