May 12, 2024, 11:03:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: More electronegative and yet a better acid  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Kosmonaut89

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
More electronegative and yet a better acid
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »
Hi! My name is Kosmonaut, I study at Uppsala University, Sweden. I've a question I've been pondering about for some time now.

How can hydrogen fluoride, HF, be a stronger acid than water even though fluorine is a more electronegative element than oxygen?

Relative electronegativities: C < N < O < F
Relative acidities: CH4 < NH3 < H20 < HF
Relative stabilities: -CH3 < -NH2 < HO- < F-

A strong acid gives away a proton easily, how then, can hydrogen fluorine be a better acid than water when fluorine is more electronegative? Doesn't higher electronegativity mean that it attracts hydrogen and therefore donates a proton poorly?

Source:Essential Organic Chemistry 2nd Ed., Paula Yurkanis Bruice

Offline JustinCh3m

• Mole Snacks: +12/-8
    • CollegeChemistryNotes
Re: More electronegative and yet a better acid
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
F is the most electronegative element, and thus it's best at attracting electrons towards itself.  This means that it's "good" at "taking" the electron from hydrogen to produce F- (you're data shows you that F- is very stable).  What's left is H+ (a proton), and this in solution produces the acidity

Offline Kosmonaut89

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: More electronegative and yet a better acid
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »
F is the most electronegative element, and thus it's best at attracting electrons towards itself.  This means that it's "good" at "taking" the electron from hydrogen to produce F- (you're data shows you that F- is very stable).  What's left is H+ (a proton), and this in solution produces the acidity

So F- is more stable than O- and therefore F- can get rid of a proton more readily. Just sounds abit counterintuitive but I guess the acidity of atoms' is more dependent on 'stability' rather than electronegativity. Thanks for clearing that up though!

Sponsored Links