May 14, 2024, 10:44:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How many moles of HF (Ka = 6.8x10^-4) must be in 0.25 L to form a 2.6 pH soln?  (Read 5608 times)

Offline sjbyrne

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am using the formula Ka = x^2/(y/.250L) and I found x by 10^-2.6=[H+].  I got x to be 2.5x10^-3 and put it in my Ka equation and got y = 2.3*10^-3 but for some reason this answer is incorrect.  Can someone tell me what I did wrong an what I need to do to fix it?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
What is y?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sjbyrne

y is the number of moles of HF.  It is what I am looking for.  The equation for Ka is expressed in terms of concentration of products over concentration of reactants and concentration is molarity.  M=moles/liter and so y/.250 liters should help me find the number of moles of HF....I think

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
I have not asked what you THINK y is, I asked what it really is...

Think: you have x2 in the nominator. What two ions does it stand for? How one of them is related to y?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sjbyrne

Hahaha, well if I didn't think, then I wouldn't be able to get anything done so my thinking is actually a good thing even if you didn't specifically ask for it.  But let's see, x stands for the ions H3O+ and F-.  F- is the conjugate base of HF, but I am not sure how knowing the conjugate base would help.  I could find Kb through the equation Kw/Ka, but I still don't have x.  I feel like I should be able to use the equation Ka = x^2/(y/.250L) and then find x through 10^-2.6 and then solve for y.  I don't understand why this shouldn't work.  It has all the right variables and I don't see anything missing.  I understand that you are trying to drive me towards something to do with the conjugate base, but I am just not sure what exactly that is. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
y is not ANALYTICAL concentration of hydrofluoric acid. It is EQUILIBRIUM concentration.

Offline sjbyrne

Well, I went through and did my ice tables and found I needed to add x to the equilibrium concentration of HF (y) and got 0.0048, but this is wrong.  My professor is having a help session tomorrow so even though I already used all my submissions for this question (using MasteringChemistry), I really need to figure this out for future reference and will just ask him tomorrow.  Thanks for trying to help though!

Sponsored Links