May 21, 2024, 10:40:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mn2+ oxidation by ozone? radicals?  (Read 6231 times)

Offline JessicaAnne

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Mn2+ oxidation by ozone? radicals?
« on: July 23, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
Hi,

trying to do a small experiment, I observed something strange...

in a glass tube, I put some MnCl2 solution that I wanted to be oxidized. I tried several way of oxidation to show people. I attached a O2 tube to the glass tube and tied them together with a tie-wrap (made out of nylon). Then Mn2+ got oxidized to MnO2 easily, but what was more surprising is that the tie-wrap just died in seconds. I replaced it many times, but after a few seconds, it would fall by itself.
Then nylon has a lot of double bond, so something must attack them quite efficiently. Could it be radicals, ozone? Any idea? Thanks :)

Offline JessicaAnne

Re: Mn2+ oxidation by ozone? radicals?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
Oh and I forgot to say, there was pressure applied by the gas in the solution tube as I was controlling the oxygen out (just by pinching the tube with my fingers and that was the reason I needed tie-wraps) and I heated the system smoothly with a Bunsen Burner...

I read that hydroperoxyl could also be the tie wrap killer, but I wouldn't understand why, like ozone, it would be produced here...

Offline JessicaAnne

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
The tie wrap wasn't in contact with the solution. It was just to be sure that the gas tube would stay in place.
The solution was acidic but putting a tie wrap in a solution sample didn't do a thing.
Moreover, I tied some of them around the experiment, in random places, and they all eventually broke by themselves. The white nylon having cracks, like used rubber on it. Which let me think it is gaseous...

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »
Cl- in acid solution can be oxidized to Cl2 from oxigen, so maybe it's chlorine. Just an idea.

Offline JessicaAnne

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »
Thanks BluRay,

I kinda thought about that because Nylon is indeed very sensitive to Cl2, but then I am still puzzled by what could have oxydized Mn2+?
Standard potential necessary to oxidize Mn2+ is around 1.5V and oxygen standard potential is only around 1.2v. That's why I thought it was ozone which oxidation potential is 0.5V higher than Mn2+...

Offline BluRay

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:16:38 PM »
Thanks BluRay,

I kinda thought about that because Nylon is indeed very sensitive to Cl2, but then I am still puzzled by what could have oxydized Mn2+?
Standard potential necessary to oxidize Mn2+ is around 1.5V and oxygen standard potential is only around 1.2v. That's why I thought it was ozone which oxidation potential is 0.5V higher than Mn2+...

You are talking about the potential to oxidize Mn2+ to MnO4-, not to MnO2. The last is 1.22V, in acidic solution (1M). The potential of O2 --> H2O is instead 1.23, in acidic solution, so it's greater: oxygen in acidic solution can easily oxidize Mn2+ to MnO2.
By the way: I remember now that a simple way to generate Cl2 gas is to add HCl to MnO2...

Offline JessicaAnne

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
Thanks,

I think I am going to work that out knowing quantitatively what's inside the solution... Although Cl2 would be a nice way to understand the observed reactions -as Cl2 could indeed oxidize easily Mn2+ along with O2-, by quickly looking at the electrochemical potentials, it sounds odd that O2 would react with HCl to give Cl2

O2 + 4H+ + 4e  :rarrow: 2H2O    E0=1.23V

4Cl-  :rarrow: 2Cl2 + 4e   E0=-1.36V

the overall reaction gives a negative potential, meaning the reaction should go the other way round.

Now you say that a simple way to generate Cl2 gas is to add HCl to MnO2 and that is done in classrooms as I read it. But looking at the potentials, we have the same a priori. Meaning the reaction:

MnO2(s)+4HCl(aq)  :rarrow: Cl2(g)+MnCl2(aq)+H2O(l)  has a  :delta:(E0) negative.

Coming from the following half reactions:
Cl2(g) + 2 e   ::equil:: 2 Cl     E0=+1.36

MnO2(s) + 4 H+  + 2 e  ::equil:: Mn2+ + 2 H2O       E0=+1.23

So I guess it may be a matter of concentrations... Or am I missing something?

Offline BluRay

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Yes, I think it's a matter of concentrations and of pH, the first reaction you wrote, that is the reduction of oxygen, is strongly favoured by low pH; for what concerns
MnO2(s) + 4HCl(aq)   :rarrow:  Cl2(g) + MnCl2(aq)+H2O(l)
it's also matter of physical states: chlorine is gaseous and can leave the solution, displacing the reaction to the right (of course with HCl here we intend a water solution of HCl).

Offline JessicaAnne

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 11:10:44 AM »
Thanks BluRay, I think you got my mystery solved  :)

Sponsored Links