May 17, 2024, 12:48:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Creating a Buffer Solution with a specific pH  (Read 5711 times)

Offline fobbz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Creating a Buffer Solution with a specific pH
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:11:33 AM »
I have a lab to plan which asks to make a buffer solution of pH = 7.45. We are to use 0.5M H2P04- and 1.0M NaOH. The solution must be prepared into a 250.0mL volumetric flask.

Now to start this problem off I have calculated the [HA]/[A-] ratio to be 0.5723. I calculated this using the equation [HA]/[A-] * Ka = 10^(-7.45)

The Ka is 6.2x10-8.

From here I really don't know what to do. I tried to use the ratio to find the moles before and after, but my answer was far far off. The actual answer comes to 90mL buffer and 28.7 NaOH.

When I take this and convert them over to mols and find the pH, I find it to be 7.21???

attatched is my attempt at understanding this.

Please help me I have a lab tomorrow at 930 and I'm really starting to freak out.

*{MOD edit: crop and re-host image}*
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:16:22 PM by Arkcon »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Creating a Buffer Solution with a specific pH
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »
Name acid and its conjugate base (in other words - state clearly what is HA and what is A-).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline fobbz

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:53:28 AM »
NaH2PO4, so the acid was H2PO4- and its conjugate base HPO42-

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 04:35:09 AM »
OK (note you can format these formulas properly almost the same way your formatted charges).

What is the source of HPO42-?

Knowing the source - can you use the stoichiometry to calculate initial amount of H2PO4- required and amount of NaOH?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline fobbz

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:40:10 PM »
The source is 0.5M NaH2PO4-. How would I proceed to use stoic. to calculate H2PO4- ? Would I look at the Ka of the acid and use an ICE table type for this situation?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »
Not necessarily. Just think what is the reaction that happens when you add NaOH to the H2PO4- solution. There are two steps, but ignore the second and assume the first one went to completion. (It is not exactly true, but true enough to solve the problem).

Offline fobbz

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:44:15 PM »
Apologies for not replying for so long, I had 4 midterms to study for.

I however am trying to solve this problem again and I made some calculations in order to try to do so.

The buffer requires a pH change of 0.2 max when 0.02 Moles H3O+ are added. However as you can see the pH drops far more substantially.

I don't understand this problem at all, could someone please help with the method to find the voluems, I can't get my head around it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:32:55 AM »
Now you have added another condition, so the problem becomes slightly different.

But it is still based on the same concept.

Assume neutralization reaction goes to completion.

Your initial buffer must have pH of 7.45. That gives you information about ratio of concentrations of H2PO4- and HPO42-.

When you add strong acid HPO42- is protonated back to H2PO4-. Again, you can assume reaction goes to completion. That gives you anther equation involving concentrations of [HPO42-] and [H2PO4-]. At this moment you should have two equations in two unknowns - just solve and you will know what teh concentrations should be.

Then it is just a matter of finding a way to dolute the original reagents.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »
fobbz:  could you also try to do a little photo cleanup when you post your work -- crop out portions of your desk, make sure the image is as small as possible, use less colors -- we need black and white, not shades of brightness of your paper cause by uneven lighting.  Like I did here:
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline fobbz

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »
fobbz:  could you also try to do a little photo cleanup when you post your work -- crop out portions of your desk, make sure the image is as small as possible, use less colors -- we need black and white, not shades of brightness of your paper cause by uneven lighting.  Like I did here:

I apologize I uploaded the wrong file I had edited, and had not previewed my post.

@Borek,

Sorry for being unclear before. So following what you said, assuming that the neutralization goes to completion, and after thinking a while I came up with two equations which i believe to be right...

Obviously incorporating the Henderson-Hasselbach equation. Is this correct? Moving forward I suppose I would try to come up with a solution whose initial volumes etc after making the buffer would result with the concentrations found above.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 04:38:51 AM »
Sorry for being unclear before. So following what you said, assuming that the neutralization goes to completion, and after thinking a while I came up with two equations which i believe to be right...

In general looks OK to me, with an obvious math error (7.45-0.2=7.25 and not 7.35). I have not checked further, but that's how I would approach the problem.

After you have x and y it is just a matter of stoichiometry and dilution.

Offline fobbz

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
Oops, that was stupid.
Okay awesome I solved it. Thank you so much for your help.

Sponsored Links