May 13, 2024, 10:45:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help Identifying "Mystery" White Powders?  (Read 5647 times)

Offline BobJr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help Identifying "Mystery" White Powders?
« on: September 14, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »
Hello.

So, for chemistry class, we did a lab where we tested the chemical and physical properties of 6 different white, household powders, and then were given another powder which we had to test and match up to one of the original 6. That part was easy enough, but for bonus, our teacher is asking us to actually IDENTIFY what all the powders are. I think I have some, but there are a couple I'm stuck on.

Just to clarify - they're all white, solid, and odourless.

POWDER A - It was crystalline, and I THINK insoluble. With water and Universal Indicator it turned a red-orange. No reaction with HCI, it turned bright yellow when Ferric Nitrate was added, and there was no reaction with iodine. I'm thinking it might be laundry detergent or salt, but for this one I really have no idea.

POWDER B - It was a powder, and readily soluble. Universal indicator turned a yellow-green, no reaction with HCI, no reaction with Ferric Nitrate, and an almost black with iodine. I think this one is baking powder.

POWDER C - This one was granular, and insoluble. With Universal it turned blue, it didn't react with HCI, pale yellow with Ferric Nitrate, and no reaction with iodine. I think this is salt, sugar or laundry detergent

POWDER D - This was a powder, and readily soluble. Blue with Universal, a LITTLE bit of bubbling with HCI, an orange with Ferric Nitrate, and no reaction with iodine. I think this is flour.

POWDER E - This was a soluble powder. It turned turquoise with Universal, fizzed a LOT with HCI, fizzed with Ferric Nitrate and turned an orangy-brown, and did not react with iodine. I think this is baking soda.

POWDER F - Was crystalline and soluble, and turned a murky green with Universal. No reaction with HCI or iodine, but it turned a very deep red with Ferric Nitrate. I think this might be aspirin

Anyone know? Any help is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 04:47:12 PM by BobJr »

Sponsored Links