May 21, 2024, 11:02:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Topic for an Organic Synthesis Paper  (Read 2282 times)

Offline gritch

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
  • Graduate Student: Inorganic Chemistry
Topic for an Organic Synthesis Paper
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »
Hello,

I've got a 15 page paper due by the end of the semester in my organic synthesis class. It's still a ways off but I'll like to at least start brainstorming interesting ideas now. The class primarily focuses on the synthesis of aromatic systems. The only guidelines for the paper so far is that it be related to the class material without directly overlapping. Many of the topics are only briefly touched on during class and a more throughout paper on some topics would probably be fine.

Some topics on the syllabus are: tertiary alcohol oxidation, photocyclization, flash vacuum pyrolysis, Wagner-Meerwein rearragments, Elbs reaction, Jutz synthesis,diaryl coupling, and Pschorr synthesis.

If anyone has had any experience with this type of chemistry and/or knows of any interesting topics for a paper that'd be great.

As of now I was thinking of doing a much more in depth review on thermal/photo initialized cyclizations but I'm not terrible thrilled with this idea yet.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Topic for an Organic Synthesis Paper
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:46:21 AM »

As of now I was thinking of doing a much more in depth review on thermal/photo initialized cyclizations but I'm not terrible thrilled with this idea yet.

Why are you not thrilled with this idea?
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 09:04:45 AM »
Ginkgolide B. Fascinating study into the stereochemistry of photocyliczations... and a synthesis by my former grad school PI.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja001747s
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »
Write one on Gabriel Synthesis……FASCINATING……also, explore ways to improve yield in the H30 Workup at the last step to free the salt of the amine :).
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Sponsored Links