Chemistry Forums for Students > Undergraduate General Chemistry Forum

Reactions, in general

(1/2) > >>

e_spirit:
Hi guys!

I have real problems with the reactions. I can not get the point about them.
For example:

Cu + HCl ----> No reaction

Dil. H2SO4 + Ag ----> No reaction

Mn + H2O ----> No reaction (Hot water Mn(OH)2 + H2)

Dil. H2SO4 + Hg ----> No reaction

CaCl2 + Cr ----> No reaction

Mg(NO3)2 + NaCl -----> No reaction

Sorry for silly question but can you please explain me a rule about the reactions or please advise what exactly should I read :-\.

I started to study chemistry this year, and as you understand I am starting from the very beginning.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

hmx9123:
Most of what you're looking at is an attempt at a RedOx reaction, aslo called an oxidation-reduction reaction.  These have to do with the activity of metals.  For instance, the first reaction, done with copper, does nothing, but were it done with magnesium or sodium, you'd have a reaction occur.  Look in your chemistry book on the section dealing with RedOx chemistry.  Specifically, oxidation and reduction potentials will give you a very good idea of whether or not a metal wil react.  Good luck.

arnyk:
If you're just starting out it may be alot simpler than that.  Most of those look like single displacement/double displacement reactions -- check your activity series to see if the single displacements would occur.  Metals to the left of "H" or any other metal will displace it while metals to the right will not. (I think that was horribly worded...sorry if it was confusing)

xiankai:

--- Quote from: arnyk on June 09, 2005, 06:18:34 PM ---If you're just starting out it may be alot simpler than that.  Most of those look like single displacement/double displacement reactions -- check your activity series to see if the single displacements would occur.  Metals to the left of "H" or any other metal will displace it while metals to the right will not. (I think that was horribly worded...sorry if it was confusing)

--- End quote ---

you mean metals above hydrogen in the reactivity series, because metals more reactive than hydrogen will displace it from its solution.

arnyk:
Oh, in my book it goes from left to right..so like

Li K Ba Ca Na...H...Cu Hg Ag...

Metals to the left will displace H, metals to the right won't.

That's just how I learned it anyways, it can also be read from top to bottom too I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version