May 22, 2024, 03:20:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mechanism for Reduction of an Aldose using Sodium Borohydride  (Read 2331 times)

Offline tubez

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mechanism for Reduction of an Aldose using Sodium Borohydride
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:22 AM »
Hi, I'm looking for the mechanism mentioned in the title. More specifically, I'm interested in the borohydride intermediates formed in the reaction, because I need to know how to determine stereochemistry for similar reactions (i.e. determining the major product in Kiliani-Fischer Synthesis)
Thanks!

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Mechanism for Reduction of an Aldose using Sodium Borohydride
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 05:27:23 AM »
Forum rules require you show some work or thoughts on the issue
Please read forum rules

Offline tubez

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »
Understood.

Kiliani-Fischer synthesis occurs from the addition of cyanide to the aldehyde group on a sugar, generally known as the anomeric carbon. I know that it attacks the carbonyl while the sugar is in a chair-like conformation, and the CN group has two modes of attack; the top or the bottom side, depending on certain conditions. I was unsure if these conditions are dictated by the anomeric effect or if they were mainly dictated by steric hindrance, as I cannot find any information on the actual mechanism of the reaction. My class notes seem to imply that this mechanism is selective much like sodium borohydride's reduction of aldoses.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:35:28 PM »
If you were to react racemic glyceraldehyde with cyanide, would you get equal amounts of the four stereoisomers?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline tubez

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
For D-glyceraldehyde, I would expect the cyanide to attack the carbonyl opposite of the C2 OH due to electrostatic repulsion of the hydroxyl group, yielding the S configuration at the new stereocenter. I'm unsure about what happens when the carbohydrate is configured in a ring structure, however. Looking at glucose, where all hydroxyls are axial, there is no obvious steric or electrostatic reasoning for selectivity, as observed here.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:35:57 PM »
The reaction proceeds via the open chain aldehyde form of the aldose and is largely controlled by the configuration at C2.

Have you heard of, for example, the Felkin-Ahn model?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links