May 18, 2024, 09:25:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Where to buy inexpensive version of ChemDraw?  (Read 8395 times)

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
Where to buy inexpensive version of ChemDraw?
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't quite sure where to put it.  Feel free to move it as necessary.

I'm looking to buy a few copies of ChemDraw(yes, I know you can download it on torrents, I need legal copies).  Older versions are okay, but I'd prefer not to go lower than 7.0, and I'd like for all copies to be the same version (this can be flexible, if a couple are 7 and a couple are 8).  I've scoured the internet/Ebay/Amazon, but this is proving to be a bit outside of my range, so I thought maybe some other people might have a better idea where I can look into this.

Money is a bit of a concern, but not a huge one, especially if we can get the actual CD-ROM or perpetual license number.  The reason I'm trying to find older versions is that I don't find CambridgeSoft's $1000/year per license to be very reasonable.  A few hundred dollars for a perpetual license/CD-ROM is much more justifiable.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Where to buy inexpensive version of ChemDraw?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't quite sure where to put it.  Feel free to move it as necessary.

I'm looking to buy a few copies of ChemDraw(yes, I know you can download it on torrents, I need legal copies).  Older versions are okay, but I'd prefer not to go lower than 7.0, and I'd like for all copies to be the same version (this can be flexible, if a couple are 7 and a couple are 8).  I've scoured the internet/Ebay/Amazon, but this is proving to be a bit outside of my range, so I thought maybe some other people might have a better idea where I can look into this.

Money is a bit of a concern, but not a huge one, especially if we can get the actual CD-ROM or perpetual license number.  The reason I'm trying to find older versions is that I don't find CambridgeSoft's $1000/year per license to be very reasonable.  A few hundred dollars for a perpetual license/CD-ROM is much more justifiable.

As a student you can get substantial discounts from them. But the license only covers up  to 5 pC's as far as I remember.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm not a student.  I'm at a small company and we can't sustain CambridgeSoft's pricing for v12.  They don't change much from version to version though, which is why I'm willing to take an older one.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm not a student.  I'm at a small company and we can't sustain CambridgeSoft's pricing for v12.  They don't change much from version to version though, which is why I'm willing to take an older one.

Try Chemdoodle it's a viable alternative and lots cheaper and you don't have the round trip editing problems with Word as you do with chemdraw.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:52:58 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  Your comment reminded me that I had already downloaded the trial version of ChemDoodle to try it.  But I forgot about it and didn't give it a full rigorous trial, and now the trial is expired.  :'( 

Offline IsotopeBill

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »
I think ChemSketch from ACD Labsis still freeware (though I'm not sure if there are restrictions for businesses).  It has some limitations but is still a pretty good drawing program.  It can be found at www.acdlabs.com

Offline Nosterius

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:16:17 AM »
Doc Oc,

As ChemDoodle interested me also, I had to write an email to these folks to ask additionnal questions. They answered within an hour. They certainly look as if they want their product to succeed and I wouldn't be surprised if they helped you reactivate a new trial version. It might be worth a shot to just ask them...

Sponsored Links