May 15, 2024, 10:59:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrolyte Quiz Question  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Prokofiev

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrolyte Quiz Question
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
I had a Lab Quiz today in my chemistry class that I was quite confused about. I tried looking it up but I failed to find the answer. So the question went something like this:

Peter used an electrolyte probe detector to test if a solid was an electrolyte. The probe read that it was not an electrolyte. He then put the solid in water and it still was not an electrolyte. Peter then proceeded to melt the solid and it finally tested as an electrolyte. What type of compound is this? Justify your answer.

The question is not exactly the same but the idea that it was not an electrolyte as a solid or in water but was when melted is the same. After taking the quiz, I asked my friends about it. They said that it was an ionic compound but that it was in distilled water when it was in water. But what my problem is with this is that I am pretty sure that an ionic compound/solid would dissociate in water to make an electrolytic solution. But the question never specified whether it even dissociated so maybe I'm wrong...

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: Electrolyte Quiz Question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »
But what my problem is with this is that I am pretty sure that an ionic compound/solid would dissociate in water to make an electrolytic solution.

it would, unless the solubility of the ionic compound is too low, such as Copper (II) carbonate. In molten form this would conduct as the mobility of the ions would be higher.

Offline Prokofiev

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:18:27 PM »
But what my problem is with this is that I am pretty sure that an ionic compound/solid would dissociate in water to make an electrolytic solution.

it would, unless the solubility of the ionic compound is too low, such as Copper (II) carbonate. In molten form this would conduct as the mobility of the ions would be higher.

Ah so basically this would only happen if the ionic compound was pretty insoluble?

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
yes indeed

Sponsored Links