May 21, 2024, 05:44:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: IRA-400 acetate resin?  (Read 2721 times)

Offline apv

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
IRA-400 acetate resin?
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:23:03 AM »
Greetings.
I'd like to extract parathyroideahormon, and i'd found this methoed:
http://www.jbc.org/content/234/12/3179.full.pdf

And my question is what is IRA-400 acetate resin?

"the clear solution was treated with freshly washed IRA-400 acetate resin and lyophilized"

Since we are talking about lyophilization i'm thinking it is for collecting moisture, and therefore i wonder if a replacement may be in order, like calciumklorid since it easier obtainable for me.
it doesn't say any thing about how cold, i wonder if any one could clue me in, i'm thinking about just jusing my homefreezer if it's possible.

Any help is appreciated
Apv

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: IRA-400 acetate resin?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:44:23 AM »
A little bit of Googleing suggests that this is an strong anion exchange resin: https://www.google.com/search?q=IRA-400+acetate+resin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Amberlite+IRA-400+acetate+resin  At any rate, this is a purification step, not a drying step just prior to lyophilization.  I don't know why you'd want to use a home freezer, given the other steps that would require a fully stocked molecular biology laboratory. 

A word of warning, the rules on this forum prohibit us discussing topics that would lead to a home user self medicating -- whether its pharmaceuticals, illegal or designer drugs, anabolic steroids or other hormones.  You really don't seem to me to have the general knowledge or technical skill ready for this sort of task, but you can always try again to dazzle us.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline apv

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »
Besides centrifugation, or spinning around fast, we are talking about vacuum for a chamber and a funnel right?
I mean we are seeing so many home chemist popping up now a days, i'd thought i'd join them.

okay so no on homefreezer, how about dipping it in liquid nitrogen before the vacuum.

But.

if we are not talking about drying, what are we talking about then.

I fully understand if you don't wanna help me, but hey i gotta lean somehow right.
anyway please correct me cause i'd love to learn.
And i don't hope that i'd upsetted you in anyway.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »
You will not be able to freeze dry this sort of compound at home with any degree of success, especially something as sensitive as what you are suggesting. Have a look at this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze-drying
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:01:36 PM by discodermolide »
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline apv

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
thanks for a much kinder answer anyway

Sponsored Links