May 20, 2024, 10:20:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Complex square planar isomers  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Complex square planar isomers
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
How many isomers (restricted to optical and geometric isomerism) exist for the coordination compound (PPh3)2PtCl2 (Ph = phenyl), known to be square planar?

If you imagine the first bond drawn going into the page on the top left of the central atom, label this substituent a; second bond going into the page on the top right, label this substituent b; third bond going out of the page on the bottom right, label this substituent c; fourth bond going out of the page on the bottom left, label this substituent d.

I thought optical isomers were possible for both tetrahedral and octahedral complexes, but not square planar ones. Thus the two solutions should simply be: {a=PPh3, b=PPh3, c=Cl, d=Cl}, {a=PPh3, b=Cl, c=PPh3, d=Cl}. And it should not matter whether the bonds are going in or out of the page, just the geometric positions. But the mark scheme has different solutions: {a=PPh3, b=PPh3, c=Cl, d=Cl}, {a=PPh3, b=Cl, c=Cl, d=PPh3}. What is going on?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1802/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Complex square planar isomers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:57:35 AM »
Looks to me like the mark scheme is wrong. Unless I am missing something big.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 01:01:51 PM »
Looks to me like the mark scheme is wrong. Unless I am missing something big.

Thanks, that is reassuring.

Am I right to say that whatever the composition of the square planar ([Mabcd], [Ma3b], [Ma4], [Ma2bc], [Ma2b2], even with polydentate ligands) it will not exhibit optical isomerism? For any composition of tetrahedral, it will not exhibit geometric isomerism? And what types do the trigonal-bypramidal or square-pyramidal (each has 5 ligands) exhibit?

Sossy

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:06:43 PM »
Since the square planar complex has a plane of symmetry, the plane containing Pt, the chloride ions and the P atoms, it cannot have optical isomers. The two geometric isomers of the complex are cis and trans.

Sponsored Links