May 06, 2024, 08:07:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Field effects versus inductive effects  (Read 5927 times)

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
Field effects versus inductive effects
« on: February 06, 2006, 07:33:32 AM »
Take 2-fluoroethanol:
It is more acidic than ethanol, through what I have learned: inductive effects by the electron-withdrawing fluor-atom. But there is also a possibilty of field-effects by the oxygenanion and the electropositive carbon next to fluor.

Is it wrong to say field-effects is som kind of bonding? How strong can such interaction be? Is it stronger than a hydrogen-bond?

My book say fieldeffects is some sort of an electrostatical force. By this reason, I guess the 2-fluoroethanol-anion is distorted into some sort of an tricyclic structure, with bondings between O-C(next to Fluor)-C(next to oxygen)-O.

Fieldeffects is quite interesting. And what I have read, they have sometimes large effects on pH-values :-)
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Nucleophile

Re:Field effects versus inductive effects
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 03:32:44 PM »
Umm, you're kind of mixing different terminologies IMO.

If you want to look at the structure of the ethanoid (?) anion, and you'd, for example, use gaussian and gaussview to represent these molecular ions, you may find some very interesting surprises with regards to their geometry.

These interactions will all have occupied Molecular Orbitals representing them, and there you'll be able to see the nature of the interactions. An inductive effect will probably mean that this group/atom will simply significantly disturb the MOs. other effects will manifest themselves in orbital lobes in places you haven't suspected, or having interactions you haven't suspected they have. These interactions might be weaker than hydrogen bonds, and might be stronger, reaching energetic values similar to pi bonding.

just my humble opinion.

Sponsored Links