May 03, 2024, 06:51:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determining the analytes persent in the solution  (Read 2749 times)

Offline LHM

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Determining the analytes persent in the solution
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
A solution may contain NaOH, Na2CO3, NaHCO3 individually or as any pair of the three analytes. A 25.00 mL aliquot of the solution is treated with a standard solution of HCl. Given the following information, what analyte(s) are present in the solution? Addition of phenolphthalein indicator (pink at pH = 10.0 and colorless at pH = 8.3) to the solution gives a pink color. The solution becomes colorless after the methyl purple indicator (green at pH = 5.4 and purple at pH = 4.8 ) to this solution gives a green color. Addition of an additional 15.30 mL of 0.1000 M HCl causes the solution to become purple in color.

A) NaOH + NaCO3
B) NaCO3 + NaHCO3
C) NaHCO3
D) NaOH

Sorry I know that it isn't great grammar and that one of the sentences in there seems like its missing a few words, but I typed it up word for word, so what it's actually supposed to be, I don't know.

As for how to do this problem, I can tell that the original solution is basic since adding phenolphthalein produces a pink color, but assuming that it meant that the solution becomes colorless after the methyl purple indicator is added to this solution, I don't understand how that happens?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Determining the analytes persent in the solution
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »
I guess information from these page may come in handy:

http://www.titrations.info/acid-base-titration-polyprotics-and-mixtures

http://www.titrations.info/acid-base-titration-sodium-hydroxide-and-carbonate

Solution becomes colorless after some volume of HCl was added, methyl purple is added to the colorless solution and titration is continued.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline LHM

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »
Thanks!

After reading this, however, I do have another question: http://www.titrations.info/acid-base-titration-sodium-hydroxide-and-carbonate

On the titration curve, the first endpoint is that of NaOH. Typically, on a normal titration curve of just NaOH and HCl, the curve is really steep at the endpoint. Why is the first end point of the Warden titration barely noticeable?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »
Carbonate is buffering the solution, slowing down pH changes.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links