May 09, 2024, 02:25:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Seeking Advice on Chemistry Preparation  (Read 2166 times)

Offline biomiracle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Seeking Advice on Chemistry Preparation
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:03:14 PM »
Hello!

I am a rising sophomore with double majors in a chemistry and microbiology.  The reason I wrote this post is to seek your advice on my plan to review the chemistry for myself and for the research lab; I am currently working for the synthetic chemistry lab that focuses on the antibiotics and medical microbiology.  Besides the research, I do not have anything to do for this summer so I am planning to devote the time on my studying.

I will be taking the organic chemistry course along with the biochemistry.  I think it is a good idea to preview the organic chemistry during this summer, but I think I did not master my general chemistry as well as I should...I remember that the course was heavily focused on the physical chemistry (elementary).  Should I skip the review of general chemistry and go right into studying of organic chemistry and research-related papers, or should I review the general chemistry during this summer?  Can I study both organic chemistry, general chemistry, and biochemistry at the same time?  Here are the topics from general chemistry that I feel confident: wavefunctions and electron density, basics of chemical bonding (no MO theory), stoichiometry, and acids-bases & electrochemistry & chemical equilibrium (I took the analytical chemistry on last semester).

Thank you very much for your time!
I look forward to your advice!

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Seeking Advice on Chemistry Preparation
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:56:04 AM »
I dont think general chemistry knowledge is any help in organic synthesis - or at least I never had the need to dive lets say into wavefunctions in orgchem lab.
Things like stochiomety or acid and bases are relevant but since you say you are confident in those areas i dont see a problem.

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
Re: Seeking Advice on Chemistry Preparation
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:11:55 PM »
I don't think it is necessary to preview organic before taking the course. The class has a hype like no other but if you just keep up with it, really work the problems, and study often it is MORE than doable. I almost advise you not to study ahead because if you teach yourself something wrong it'll be frustrating to reteach yourself the correct way. Also, you do not know which reactions your instructor is going to cover (there are so many that it is impossible to cover all in one year).

Sponsored Links