May 10, 2024, 12:13:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Reaction in Sodium Acetate.  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Nicckk

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical Reaction in Sodium Acetate.
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:56:57 AM »
Hey,

This is my first post here. I just got interested in chemistry and thought I would try out making some sodium acetate. I have not done the experiment yet, but I was wondering about the chemical equation.

C2H402 + CHNa03  :rarrow: C2H3Na02 + H2C03

I was just wondering what happens to the Carbonic Acid in this reaction. Unless my balancing if off, and I made an error; can someone tell me?

Offline bromidewind

• Mole Snacks: +10/-7
Re: Chemical Reaction in Sodium Acetate.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:28:00 AM »
Welcome to the forums :)

You don't get carbonic acid as your byproduct in this reaction. You'll wind up with water and carbon dioxide. So your reaction should look something like this:

CH2COOH + Na+[HCO3]-  :rarrow: CH3COO-Na+ +H2O(l) + CO2(g)

To get sodium acetate crystals, just boil off the water and then put it in your freezer/refrigerator. Make sure you do the whole reaction in a well-ventilated area since CO2 is given off, which isn't always the best thing to inhale. You'll typically get around 95% yields (sodium bicarbonate is your limiting reagent, you can't have any yield of products higher than it).

Have fun and know that reactions like this are the first step on your way into the wondrous world of chemistry :)

Offline Nicckk

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Chemical Reaction in Sodium Acetate.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »
Thanks, that makes more scene now. I'm gonna try the experiment this weekend, who knows I might take a few videos and put them on Youtube. 

Sponsored Links