May 05, 2024, 10:54:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Inspired by corona  (Read 286 times)

Offline tooiii

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Inspired by corona
« on: April 23, 2024, 02:47:41 AM »
 I want to do an analysis with crystallization on a trimeric protein complex. This trimeric protein complex is from mammalian tissue. Can I express and purify this protein from mammalian tissue culture cells?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Inspired by corona
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 02:48:15 AM »
Completely out of my area of expertise, but what other sources are possible?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Inspired by corona
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 12:42:06 AM »
It's more microbiology than chemistry... But don't people insert a gene into e-coli and express proteins this way? Do you want to use x-ray diffraction? Now it's common to use AI that looks at the primary structure and predicts the tertiary 3D-structure. Before when people used only x-ray diffraction it often took years to get good crystals from proteins, at Medivir we got crystals from HIV-reverse transcriptase and used x-ray diffraction. The x-rays were generated by an electron accelerator large as a football field and the crystals were cooled by ice the whole transport to the facility, it was not a simple job.
I don't find the paper, but this guy did the work I describe, here he is also working with HIV-RT: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/aid.1990.6.1297
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 01:00:08 AM by rolnor »

Sponsored Links