May 15, 2024, 04:58:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: synthesis of diethyl sulphone  (Read 3216 times)

Offline lethal_lefty

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
synthesis of diethyl sulphone
« on: March 08, 2007, 01:02:18 AM »
hey guys, i'm having a bit of trouble on a particular problem for a review for my organic chemistry exam on friday.

i need to come up with a synthesis that will yield diethyl sulphone, and i can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.  i've been hittin the book for about 4 hours now, so it's possible that i'm just having a brain fart and making this way more difficult then it actually is.

i know that i came up with a synthesis which yields methyl ethyl sulphone, but unfortunately that isn't my desired product.  regardless, i'll post what i came up with for the methyl ethyl sulphone and if you guys could help me piece together what i need to do to get diethyl sulphone i'd greatly appreciate it.

Here goes:  CH3CH2SNa + CH3I ---> CH3CH2SCH3 + H2O2  --->  CH3CH2S=OCH3  (i don't know how to properly write the double bond between the S and O, but the methyl group is attached to the S not the O, sorry if it's hard to decipher)   that will leave me with a sulphoxide, then by once again reacting my sulphoxide with H2O2 i'll have my methyl ethyl sulphone.

is there a simple way to tack another methyl group on the methyl side of the sulphone in order to yield a diethyl sulphone or am i going about this synthesis all wrong?

again, i hope you guys can decipher what my reactions were supposed to be, i tried to write it out as plainly as possible but i couldnt think of a way to clearly show the double bond without it appearing confusing.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: synthesis of diethyl sulphone
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 03:57:37 AM »
Instead of MeI, you could use something else...
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: synthesis of diethyl sulphone
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 04:42:40 AM »
Think about oxidation of diethylthioether
AWK

Sponsored Links