May 18, 2024, 05:01:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: H2SO4  (Read 4639 times)

Offline vhpk

• Mole Snacks: +12/-25
H2SO4
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:54:54 PM »
I want to know that in industry, how is the max concentration of H2SO4 can we produce
Genius is a long patience

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: H2SO4
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:31:33 AM »
Up to 10% oleum
AWK

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 11:35:11 AM »
only 10%?, I remember reading somewhere about 65% oleum (sth like 112% equivalent sulf. Acid?)

Anyway, disregarding oleum, in principle 100% Sulfuric Acid can be made, but usually the highest grade sold is 98% (more stable form to store)

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:14:50 PM »
Is 100% sulphuric acid even legal (in the U.S., let's say)?
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »
Is 100% sulphuric acid even legal (in the U.S., let's say)?

I don't see why it would be illegal. You can't directly make explosives or drugs with it as far as I'm away of.

As has been already stated, 100% is theoretical, but Sulfuric acid is hydrophilic. It will quickly become contaminated by atmospheric oxygen. The hydrophilic property of sulfuric acid is demonstrated nicely when you add concentrated (~98%) sulfuric acid to sugar. The sugar will actually be dehydrated by the sulfuric acid (in a highly exothermic reaction).
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 05:48:48 PM »
So, you can't have the pure H2SO4 molecule (therefore 100% sulphuric acid) because it gets oxidized by the oxygen in the air, reducing it to 98% at the max. So does the acid become H2SO6? Or do you get an ionic solution of H2O and SO4? Sorry to get off topic a bit but I'm confused about this oxidizing thing.
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »
Oxygen doesn't do anything, concentrated sulphuric acid sucks water from the air.

It is enough to keep it in closed container to avoid water contamination.

OTOH in practice there is no such thing as not contaminated substances. In most cases even high purity means ppm contaminations.

IIRC highest purity obtained was something about 1 atom of contamination per 1014 atoms of main component, but I can be completely off. Besides, preparing such a thing is a rocket science.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links