May 21, 2024, 09:42:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TLC Analysis Question  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Violagirl

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
TLC Analysis Question
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:49:50 PM »
So for my lab tomorrow in doing a TLC test, we have to use a ratio of 20% ethyl acetate/hexane for the solvent. So if I use 10 mL total, I would use 2 mL of ethyl acetate and 8 mL of hexane. Will 10 mL be sufficient? Also, when adding filter paper, you would moisturize it using your solvent and have it folded and laying against the interior of your beaker and not covering the very bottom of it before adding your TLC plate, is that correct?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: TLC Analysis Question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:57:18 AM »
So for my lab tomorrow in doing a TLC test, we have to use a ratio of 20% ethyl acetate/hexane for the solvent. So if I use 10 mL total, I would use 2 mL of ethyl acetate and 8 mL of hexane.

yes

Will 10 mL be sufficient?

Maybe. Depends on the size of the tank.

Also, when adding filter paper, you would moisturize it using your solvent and have it folded and laying against the interior of your beaker and not covering the very bottom of it before adding your TLC plate, is that correct?

Sounds fine. The paper should be to be above the solvent line (do you know what its purpose is?). I personally don't bother with the filter paper.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Violagirl

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:50:08 AM »
I think we have to use a 150 mL beaker as the developing chamber so 10 mL should be ok then it sounds like.

Offline Nosterius

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:05:26 AM »
Do not forget to put a lid over your beaker. A watch glass normally works well for this purpose.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »
It really doesn't matter how much solvent is in the developing chamber, only that the level of solvent is below the spots on your TLC plate and that the atmosphere inside the chamber is saturated with the solvent so it doesn't evaporate as it runs up the plate (that is the purpose of the filter paper).

Sponsored Links