May 04, 2024, 09:46:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Urgent:Algal Oil Extraction..suggestions  (Read 5490 times)

Offline d.real.napster

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Urgent:Algal Oil Extraction..suggestions
« on: July 16, 2009, 10:24:33 PM »
this is my first post to this forum and I am really amazed to see a whole world of chemistry related queries being solved here. I really appreciate the work of this forum.

Well, I am working these days on the biofuel process design. FOr the purpose, I am these days employed into growing algae (chlroella minutissima and chlamydomonas reinhardii) under their required conditions. Well, the growth of chlorella is superb and I am able to convert 50 mL of chlorella into 60L of the culture.

But this is not the main purpose of this project. The main purpose is the algal oil extraction. Both these algae are said to have like 20-25% of lipids in it. I would be extracting that using soxhlet apparatus. But I am stuck at a very basic step. All the algae is in suspended state as I am pumping air in it and chlrolla minutissima is very minute is size (that is why it is known as minutissima). so, main problem is how to take out dry algae from the culture and then extract oil from it.
I tried centrifuging it but the max. vol. that can be centrifuged once is just 50 mL. secondly I dewatered the culture by just keeping it in oven at 180 degrees celsius and it still took like 40 minutes to achieve it. Can u suggest any ways to how to obtain dry algae from the culture.
Is oven heating at 180 degrees celsuis fine or will it harm the lipid content inside the algae. Also, I am unaware of the oil vapourizing point. The whole concern is how i should perform this step without loosing any oil. I have to start the extraction on monday so need ugrent help

Thanks
VIj

Offline witzritz

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Urgent:Algal Oil Extraction..suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 01:51:23 AM »
I think you can use an evaporator

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »
try doing soxhlet method, it has been tried with sargassum and ulva genus in my past laboratory, its moderately priced so bare with the expenses though.
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »
Have you access to a vacuum oven for drying the biomass?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Heisenberg

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 01:31:07 PM »
I would use a fan to dry the biomass about 80-90% then use a dessicant chamber (can make one easily) to dry the rest until it is crisp.

When the lipid is extracted, I would try heating a small sample in a round bottomed flask with a liebig condensor attached and a thermometer inserted into it. When the oil starts to evaporate, record the temperature of the vapour. This will allow you to determine if the oven drying method is suitable for future batches or if you should stick with cooler drying methods.

Sponsored Links