May 15, 2024, 11:47:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Br2 addition  (Read 2426 times)

Offline tezha

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Br2 addition
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:13:23 PM »
Why in the bromination reaction of unsaturated hydrocarbons, when the bromonium ion is formed, the Br- anion, which acts as a nucleophile, adds to the more saturated carbon of the bromonium ion ring? my textbook says it's because the carbon is more positive, which sounds reasonable enough, however, as far as I know, -R groups are electron donating, so the carbon should be actually less positive, right (would be more stable if it was a carbocation)?

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Br2 addition
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
Take into consideration the transition state that is getting stabilized thanks to the +I effect of the R groups... The p-orbitals of the R groups also stabilize the transition state is some cases, I think. And since this is not a carbocation mechanism, we cannot use the carbocation theory.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Br2 addition
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »
I think it's perfectly reasonable to view this as what Clayden & Co call "loose SN2". This is somewhere between SN1 and SN2, see acid catalysed hydrolysis of epoxides. There will be significant weakening of one C-Br bond, resulting in partial +ve charge buildup on one of the carbon atoms, but not completely to the point of a carbocation. There is significant carbocation character in the transition state, such that carbocation arguments like:
Take into consideration the transition state that is getting stabilized thanks to the +I effect of the R groups...
can satisfactorily rationalise and predict the result in many cases.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links