May 12, 2024, 06:17:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gas evolution reaction, question  (Read 2205 times)

Offline ZekR

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Gas evolution reaction, question
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:52:28 PM »
This is very basic, but I want to make sure I correctly understand the bold sentence in this paragraph:

When an ionic carbonate, such as K2CO3, is treated with an acid, such as HCl, one of the products is carbon dioxide. Such reactions occur through the formation of a gas and water because both products remove reactant ions from solution:
2HCl(aq) + K2CO3(aq) :rarrow: 2KCl(aq) + [H2CO3(aq)]
[H2CO3(aq)] :rarrow: H2O(l) + CO2(g)
The product H2CO3 is shown in square brackets to indicate that it is very unstable. It decomposes immediately into water and carbon dioxide.

Are the reactant ions that are removed from solution by the products in the above example the H+ (or rather H3O+) ions ("removed" by becoming H2O product) and the CO32- ion ("removed" by becoming CO2 product)?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Gas evolution reaction, question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:19:40 AM »
That's one way of looking at it.  It seems to be what this question is trying to make clear, with the italicized portion.  There's something more important 'tho.  That the question glosses over, that may be more significant:  Do you think that the reaction: 2HCl(aq) + K2CO3(aq) :rarrow: 2KCl(aq) + [H2CO3(aq)] could be an equilibrium?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline ZekR

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »
No, it could not be an equilibrium, since H3CO3 immediately breaks down into H2O(l) and CO2(g) (and CO2(g) is a gas so it escapes).  And they would use double reaction arrows if it were an equilibrium, right?

What the text book in question (Silberberg) is talking about in this section is acid-base reactions and how the gas forming reaction in essence is an acid-base reaction.  Here is a bit more from the book that follows where I left off in the italicized portion of my original question:

Combining these two equations gives the overall equation:
2HCl(aq) + K2CO3(aq)  :rarrow: 2KCl(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)

When we show H3O ions from the HCl as the actual species in solution and write the net ionic equation, Cl and K ions are eliminated. Note that each of the two H3O ions transfers a proton to the carbonate ion:
2H3O+(aq) + CO32-  :rarrow: 2H2O(l) + [H2CO3(aq)]  :rarrow: 3H2O(l) + CO2(g)

In essence, this is an acid-base reaction with carbonate ion accepting the protons and, thus, acting as the base. Several other polyatomic ions react similarly with an acid.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:33:07 PM »
The gas evolution does drive the equilibrium far to the right.  And that's what the text seems to be trying to say.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links