May 06, 2024, 07:09:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NH4-EDTA, to make a mixture (??) or to obtain from somewhere?  (Read 12557 times)

Offline kwikwi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
NH4-EDTA, to make a mixture (??) or to obtain from somewhere?
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:57:17 AM »
Hi all,

I'm having a problem figuring out one solution needed for sequential extraction of soil metals.
It's the fourth fraction of Zeien and Bruhmmer method (1989), where 0,025M NH4-EDTA is used.

It might be my lack of general chemistry knowledge (I'm a biologist), but among a variety of EDTA solutions and mixtures  to be ordered from supply companies (in Europe), I can't seem to find ammonium-EDTA...

What am I doing wrong?
I feeel like it's something notoriously obvious that I am missing...

Thanks,
viki.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: NH4-EDTA, to make a mixture (??) or to obtain from somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 05:25:38 AM »
I am not surprised you can't find it - EDTA is usually sold as as either acid or disodium salt. You can prepare ammonium salt just by dissolving EDTA in ammonia solution (watch for stoichiometry).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kwikwi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:47:26 AM »
Thanks!

I suspected that, but was uncertain if it actually should be 0.025 mole of NH3 and 0.025 mole of EDTA in one litre. Should it? (is that what you mean by - watch for stectiometry)

And then again if  a tetraammonium edta is potentially formed, does that mean that as long as it is 1:1 in moles, it should stay what it is stated in the procedure - NH4-EDTA, with one ammonium attached?

I really appreciate your reply, I found no better answer from a number of coleageues around me.... thanx.
kwi.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:22:17 AM »
It is not clear to me how to read NH4-EDTA - EDTA is a tetraprotic acid, so there are 4 possible salts. If treated as a formula, that would mean monoammonium salt - and yes, that would mean you have to mix them in 1:1 molar ratio (although most likely small deviation won't hurt). Trick is, solutions of different salts have pH varying by several pH units (around 2.5 for a monoammonium salt, close to 9 for tetraammonium), and that is most likely a very important parameter.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline bambam

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:10:26 AM »
Helpful thread! I`m concerned about the same topic.
the last step to obtain solid NH4-EDTA (monoammonium salt - required Substance for the Zeihen\Brummer extraction scheme) remains unclear for me. thank you in advance.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:26:07 AM »
the last step (...) remains unclear for me

What is the last step and what is unclear for you? As much I would like to I can't read minds ;)

Offline bambam

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:03:11 AM »
unclear part was
Trick is, solutions of different salts have pH varying by several pH units (around 2.5 for a monoammonium salt, close to 9 for tetraammonium), and that is most likely a very important parameter.
and how to adapt the above statement in order to functionally adequate handle dissolving EDTA in ammonia solution. 1:1 molar ratio, adjust pH to aim, thats it?

aim is to yield 400ml 0.025M NH4-EDTA p.a. (EDTA 7.31 g\L ) at pH 4,6 (with ammonia solution), which is required for the extraction of certain metals (EDTA-soluble \ organic-ligated fraction) from soil.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
0.025M NH4-EDTA p.a. (EDTA 7.31 g\L ) at pH 4,6 (with ammonia solution)

As stated it doesn't make much sense - but it is probably not your fault. NH4H3EDTA solution will have pH closer to 2.5 than to 4.6. To get higher pH you need to add more base, so it is either 1:1 ammonia/EDTA plus something else (like NaOH) or it is not 1:1 ammonia/EDTA. 2:1 ammonia/EDTA ((NH4)2H2EDTA) will have pH close to what you need.

Offline bambam

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »
so the first option is definately not true. i read explicitly, that the pH later is to be reached by adjusting with diluted ammonia solution. Thank You- and thank the exclusion principle. hope, this acid is meant by NH4-EDTA in all the descriptions.

Sponsored Links