May 21, 2024, 09:56:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Balanced equation for formation of Zeolite LTA  (Read 4414 times)

Offline TurtleGiraffe

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Balanced equation for formation of Zeolite LTA
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
Does anyone know how to balance the equation for the formation of the zeolite LTA? I think this is the equation:

Na2SiO3.5H20 + NaAlO2  + H2O + NaOH :rarrow: Na12(AlO2)12(SiO2)12.27H2O + NaOH + H2O
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:27:28 PM by TurtleGiraffe »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Balanced equation for formation of Zeolite LTA
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
This is going to be a tough one, as you can probably tell.  Chemical formulas are easier to read when you use subscripts, not that that will help you balance, just a neatness for this forum.  If this reaction happens in aqueous solution, you can ignore the water of hydration.  If it doesn't (I really don't know,) then you will have to take it into account.  At any rate, there's nowhere near the correct amount of Na on either side, so you will have to at least work with that one.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline TurtleGiraffe

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
Yeah, tried for hours to balance it as its pretty crucial to my report. Changed it to subscripts except for ones with 12 as couldn't find subscript 1. I believe it was done in an aqueous solution.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
Then you can erase the water of hydration form each molecule and begin again.  Assume there is only one of the sodium silicate, do you end up with enough of each atom for all the products?  If not, assume more, until you do, and watch what happens to the other atoms as you do that.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1802/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »
Na2SiO3.5H20 + NaAlO2  + H2O + NaOH :rarrow: Na12(AlO2)12(SiO2)12.27H2O + NaOH + H2O

You have NaOH and H2O on both sides of the equation. Remove NaOH on the left. Then there are two ways to balance what is left - use pentahydrate on the left and add H2O on the right, or use anhydrous silicate and add H2O on the left.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links