May 21, 2024, 02:10:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating pressure needed to change density of a substance  (Read 2384 times)

Offline khemauck

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Calculating pressure needed to change density of a substance
« on: August 08, 2015, 03:41:36 AM »
Must calculate this using isothermal compressability - I assume I also need to know the original density of the substance.

Could I please have a method or some pointers on how to calculate this?

Is the equation dP = dV/V Kt enough? I am shocking at calculus and not looking for an answer to my particular question, just a general outline of how to solve such a problem.

Thanks guys!

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Calculating pressure needed to change density of a substance
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »
If the substance is a liquid or solid, no equivalent exist to some perfect gas equation, so you need experimental values of the volume compressibility or its reciprocal, the bulk modulus K (in GPa usually), or at least the sound velocity. Beware it varies with the pressure: 50bar, 350bar, 1500bar...

For a gas, under some conditions you can assimilate it to a perfect gas and then general equations exist; if not, you must choose one model and have the parameters of said gas for this model.

Offline khemauck

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 02:09:37 AM »
THe question asks:

The isothermal compressibility of Bismuth at 273K is 0.0317 gPa-1. Calculate P that must be applied to change its density by 0.10%

So what assumptions could I make here? what information do I need to solve this problem?

To be honest Im not even sure what equations to use.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 06:23:03 PM »
Neither do I know an equation, because I'd forget it too quickly. Once you know the relation is a proportionality, intuition must do the rest.

You have units (GPa, with a big G for Giga). This must tell you what it multiplies or divides.

You have a big number: around 30 billions Pa. Whether you expect a big or a small volume variation at 1Pa should tell you how to combine the three.

Sponsored Links