May 14, 2024, 10:57:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: attractive force between water and carbon dioxide  (Read 3628 times)

Offline pengkyyy

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
attractive force between water and carbon dioxide
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »
water and carbon dioxide molecules did interact, what major force will be exerted between the molecules?

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
Re: attractive force between water and carbon dioxide
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 03:00:53 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forums! Before we can help you have to show that you've attempted the problem yourself. It's part of the rules you can read about here.

For this question, look at the molecular structures of each of the compounds. What intermolecular forces are there that might come into play when these two compounds -- with their respective structures -- interact?
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Offline pengkyyy

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 11:46:48 PM »
I'm so sorry , This is the first time post on this forum , I don't sure that Attractive force between Co2 and H2O is a dipole induced dipole or hydrogen bond becuase Hydrogen bond in H20 molecule can form hydrogen bond with lone pairs oxygen atom in CO2

thank you

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »
Both dipole induced dipole and hydrogen bonds sound reasonable to me. This is one of those examples where more than one interaction might be in effect.
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 05:46:44 PM »
While carbon dioxide has no global dipole field, I'm pleased with dipole attraction - or call it as you want, I'm not too interested in wording.

That is, as soon as C and O carry some partial charge, they will attract an OH that shows the proper orientation, since the distance between the atoms of both molecules are compatible.

----------

For my own information please: why does CO have nearly the same melting and boiling points as N2? I expected a dipole in CO which should have favoured the condensed states, that is, raised the melting and boiling points. Apart from a dipole moment, both molecules look pretty much identical. Thanks!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +532/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
The dipole moment of CO is very small (~0.1 D). Compare to water (~1.8 D) or HCl (~1.0 D).
Plus, the magnitude of intermolecular forces does not always scale exactly with the degree of polarity.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
Thanks!

Sponsored Links