May 14, 2024, 05:13:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Salt pH  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Salt pH
« on: August 24, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »
1) What approximations need to be made to say that, for a salt with a monoprotic anion as the conjugate base (whose basic action has equilibrium constant Kb) and a monoprotic cation as the conjugate acid (whose acidic action has equilibrium constant Ka), the pH is independent of the concentration of this salt and obeys the relation:

[tex][H^+] = \sqrt{K_w \cdot \frac{K_a}{K_b}}[/tex]

2) Prove that, besides activity effects, no approximations need to be made to show that, for a salt such as the one above, where Ka=Kb, then

[tex][H^+] = \sqrt{K_w}[/tex]

In other words that if Ka=Kb the solution will always be perfectly neutral. (Whereas the formula derived in (1) requires some approximations.)

Comments:
Either way we'll have to start from the main equations. Let's take the anion as A- and cation as NH4+ and assume that the coefficients on both NH4+ and A- in the salt are 1. (We could investigate later whether the neutrality holds even if the coefficients are not both 1.)

c0(Salt) = [NH4+] + [NH3] = [HA] + [A-]
[NH4+] + [H+] = [A-] + [OH-]
Ka = [NH3] [H+] / [NH4+]
Kb = [HA] [OH-] / [A-]
Kw = [H+] [OH-]

Now what good approximations can we make here, so as to reach that formula in (1)?

And as for (2), simply equating Ka and Kb doesn't seem to be doing it for me. What should I do once I have placed the expressions equal to each other?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:47:02 PM by Big-Daddy »

Sponsored Links