May 21, 2024, 02:04:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Distillation of wash into spirits  (Read 1957 times)

Offline joeyjojo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Distillation of wash into spirits
« on: January 12, 2015, 05:36:50 AM »
Hello,

I live in Canada where it is legal to distill and was distilling essential oils and now have moved on to see if I could distill drinks with the same equipment.

I have made Rum already through a simple distillation and it gave me a low wine of about 40%.  Redistilling and separation of foreshots, heads, hearts and tails and then diluting gave me the rum.

My question has to do with producing a more filtered ethanol with little flavour using a frac. column.  I was wondering if an Oldershaw column would be most efficient for this or should I use another type of column?  To achieve a 93 to 95% pure spirit, what is the calculation to determine the length this column must be?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Distillation of wash into spirits
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 05:44:48 AM »
Hello,

I live in Canada

Probably true.

where it is legal to distill

It is pretty much legal to distill water, for example, just about anywhere in the world, presumably with reasonable safety precautions in urban areas.

and was distilling essential oils

Likewise, this is fine anywhere.

and now have moved on to see if I could distill drinks with the same equipment.

Annnnnd this is not legal.  Don't know if you're confused, or deliberately gradually building to a specious argument, but your logic right here, was not correct, and has led to conclusions above that are likewise not correct.  So we're not doing this.  Trouble yourself to read the Forum Rules{click}, please.

I have made Rum already through a simple distillation and it gave me a low wine of about 40%.  Redistilling and separation of foreshots, heads, hearts and tails and then diluting gave me the rum.

My question has to do with producing a more filtered ethanol with little flavour using a frac. column.  I was wondering if an Oldershaw column would be most efficient for this or should I use another type of column?  To achieve a 93 to 95% pure spirit, what is the calculation to determine the length this column must be?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:15:45 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links