May 17, 2024, 08:50:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: making solutions  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Armani

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
making solutions
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »
Hi I'm confused on how to make a 500g/1 L solution of something.
Do I put 500g of whatever into the volumetric flask and then dilute up to the line?
Or do I just put 500g in a beaker and add 1 L of H2O to it?

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
Re: making solutions
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Good question!
Normally we assume that the solute will not contribute to the overall volume of the final solution. So dissolving, say, 2g of something in exactly 1 liter of water is essentially the same as putting 2g into the volumetric flask and filling to the 1 liter line. I say essentially b/c for all intense and purposes, the 2g we used doesn't increase the volume of the final solution. So we end up with a 1 liter solution.
However, with 500g this amount is going to change things up. Dissolving 500g of something in 1 liter of water will not leave you with exactly 1 liter of solution, since the 500g will certainly increase the overall volume (even though it may be a tiny increase). Therefore to have exactly 1 liter of solution, you should add 500g to the volumetric flask and then add enough water to get to the 1 liter line. Note that you may need less than 1 liter of water here, but the end solution is still 1 liter.
Hope that helps.

Offline Armani

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: making solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »
Thank you.

That's what I figured. Was just confused by wording and explaining in the assignment.

Sponsored Links