May 29, 2024, 04:32:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Volume occupied by a mono-atomic and a diatomic gas?  (Read 8602 times)

Offline devvaibhav

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Volume occupied by a mono-atomic and a diatomic gas?
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »
Q:- What will be the volume occupied by 1 mole of a (i) mono-atomic gas, and (ii) diatomic gas at NTP?

My answer:- As the gases are at NTP volume of 1 mole of both of them should be 22.4 lt. I think the mono-atomic and diatomic don't matters here as the lowest free state of the gas is a single atom and two atoms.

Book's Answer:- For mono-atomic gases, 1 mole atom occupies 22.4 lt.(s) at NTP, and for diatomic gases, 1 mole atom occupies 11.2 lt.(s) at NTP, as 1 mole of O2 contains 2 moles of O.

I would like to focus on the 1 mole atom thing. I think the atom thing don't matters here. See this too:

Is my thinking right or wrong?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Volume occupied by a mono-atomic and a diatomic gas?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:06:52 AM »
Q:- What will be the volume occupied by 1 mole of a (i) mono-atomic gas, and (ii) diatomic gas at NTP?

My answer:- As the gases are at NTP volume of 1 mole of both of them should be 22.4 lt. I think the mono-atomic and diatomic don't matters here as the lowest free state of the gas is a single atom and two atoms.

Book's Answer:- For mono-atomic gases, 1 mole atom occupies 22.4 lt.(s) at NTP, and for diatomic gases, 1 mole atom occupies 11.2 lt.(s) at NTP, as 1 mole of O2 contains 2 moles of O.

I would like to focus on the 1 mole atom thing. I think the atom thing don't matters here. See this too:

Is my thinking right or wrong?

Both are right, when you mention a mole it's probably also best to clarify which types of particles you are talking about. If something naturally comes in pairs, like dinitrogen, then of course there will be twice as many individuals as pairs in any given sample size.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1803/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:14 AM »
Question is ambiguously worded. Mole of gas occupies 22.4 L at STP. Mole of atoms is not equivalent to mole of gas, as it can be either a mole of gas, or some fraction of mole (N2, O3, P4 ...).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
PV=nRT

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »
Book answer concern other question:
Q:- What will be the volume occupied by 1 mole of atoms in: a (i) mono-atomic gas, and (ii) diatomic gas at NTP?
AWK

Offline devvaibhav

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:34:11 AM »
Thanks man got it..

Sponsored Links