May 21, 2024, 06:54:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Low smoke propellant.  (Read 4426 times)

Offline kevinnn

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Low smoke propellant.
« on: December 10, 2012, 01:28:44 AM »
I have allways been intrigued by fireworks. I just saw quite a good show tonight in manhattan beach but since there was little wind the smoke smothered some of the fireworks. My question is why has a low smoke propellant, that would be a replacement for black powder, not been invented?  It seems like it would be very beneficial. There has to be something that can be made and I don't understand why it has not been produced and sold. I just wanted to bring it up. Anyone have anything to say on the matter?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Low smoke propellant.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »
There are a number of reasons, however, and important one for pyrotechnic displays is that the black smoke is needed as a backdrop for the colored fire to show up.  But certainly smokeless powder is used, particularly for lifting changes.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kevinkevin

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:45:45 PM »
  So if there was no smoke you would not be able to see the colored stars?  I'm still a little confused.  When the shell itself explodes in the sky the stars go there own ways leaving the black powder behind right?  Even when the first fireworks in a show go off, or when you blow them off by yourself, the color is quite clear.  Are you saying that the smoke actually has to travel with the stars themselvs in order for us to see the color? But since the stars are burning as well wont they create there own smoke? 

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »
When planning out a pyrotechnic display, the pyrotechnist (is that a word? dunno) takes into account the expanding cloud of smoke when deciding where the next one is going to go off, and at what time.  It all depends on weather this is a sky bursting shell, or lance work.  Even so, the hope is for a night with a mild upper level wind, but sometimes, you don't get that.  Or the fireworks end up composed slightly wonky, and fail to make the perfect display.  If you need a scholarly work on the topic, you should look up something by Lancaster.  He's an Anglican minister from England, commonly known as Lancaster, Master Blaster Pastor. 
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kevinkevin

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
  Thanks for the help. 
I will search for it on google scholar. 

Offline kevinkevin

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
 I searched google scholar but was unsuccessful in finding anything.  Do you by any chance have a link?   

subashseo

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:38:36 AM »
Black powder (the "original propellant") is very pressure sensitive, produces a lot of smoke when ignited, and is not very efficient (meaning it takes a lot more to produce the gas to propel a slug). It is the old charcoal, sulfur, saltpeter mix that the Chinese invented a thousand years ago.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »
Here is a link that will explain all. It's worth a watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtK2BgmGCw
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links