May 02, 2024, 07:44:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Increasing the medicinal value of water  (Read 2041 times)

Chillingb

Increasing the medicinal value of water
« on: December 11, 2015, 02:29:53 PM »
I am new to this forum, and the field of chemistry in general. So help educate me, break things down, I have no experience.

I've always had an interest in chem. My goal is to move into biochem. Then into dietetics possibly.

My goals are to eliminate the toxicity of treated water, obviously prevent contamination which is why it is treated, and to add supplemental potential to the water. My worry is that I'll be creating some chemical reactions I am unaware of and doing harm to myself, which is why I need expert opinions.

I like the idea of adding minerals to water, I've read about adding sodium bicarbonate, magnesium sulfate, as well as combining creatine monohydrate to sodium bicarbonate to greatly increase supplemental value of both. Alkaline waters are supposedly better, and waters in certain places that are mineral rich are in correlation with longer life span.

Anyone have any ideas? I love the idea of making the water I drink better than what comes out of the tap, but I might end up making battery acid and drinking it. Water is my favorite medicine, how do I make it better. Any ideas? Feel free to add on.

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
Re: Increasing the medicinal value of water
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:11:45 AM »
Don't try to make your own mixes, those are risky.
Get yourself a good drinking water filtration system with ion exchange filter and add some storebought club soda powder to the filtered tap water.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Increasing the medicinal value of water
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
Unfortunately we do not discuss self medication or preparations intended for human consumption. This is for reasons of accountability and health and safety. See forum rules.

Best option would be to speak to a dietitian (qualified health professional). Avoid people who call themselves nutritionalists (quacks).
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links