May 03, 2024, 04:50:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Formal definition of lipids  (Read 6718 times)

Offline NewtoAtoms

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
Formal definition of lipids
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:25:25 PM »
Hello Biochemists,

This my first venture into Biochemistry, and I must admit I AM EXCITED! 

We had a class discussion today and this was left on the chalkboard before we left:

Lipids, by definition, are

a. fats                                                                                 (this is just one type of lipid)
b. nonpolymeric biomolecules                                                    (false lipids are complex polymeric biomolecules)
c. water-insoluble but organic solvent-extractable biochemicles      (I think this is the best definition)
d. glyceride esters                                                                  (hum.... some lipids are)
e. biomolecules which form micelles                                             (yes some too!)

Would I be correct to say that c. is the BEST answer for this definition?

Thank you for your time.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Formal definition of lipids
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:54:18 AM »
Would I be correct to say that c. is the BEST answer for this definition?

It would be, assuming there are no other molecules sharing the same characteristic. But they do exist.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »
Lipids certainly are complex biomolecules, but I'm not aware of any lipids which are polymers (but I would agree that b probably is not the best description of lipids).

Offline aHerraez

• Mole Snacks: +7/-1
    • Biomodel
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:46:08 AM »
Defining lipids is always tricky. Here is my 2 cents:

(b) Certainly lipids are NOT polymeric. But that is not good as a definition, as there are many other non-polymeric biomolecules.

(c) is quite good, but I don't see it as perfect. Lipids are characterised by being hardly soluble in water, but they are not very soluble in organic solvents if these are very nonpolar. The characteristic of most lipids is to have both polar and nonpolar moieties (hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts). That's why they form micelles easily in water (e). But again (e) is not a perfect definition.

So I think the best answer must be chosen not by being the best definition of lipids, but by being the least erroneous sentence. And the important key is not which answer you choose, but the discussion you make of all choices.

Sponsored Links