May 14, 2024, 12:05:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: protein synthesis  (Read 3451 times)

mango10

protein synthesis
« on: December 13, 2005, 03:49:42 PM »
my bf and i were having a debate on this question: one of the neccessary species for protein synthesis that will be deactivated at high temperature has to be protein am i right?

does anyone know? thank you

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re:protein synthesis
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 07:03:11 PM »
In vivo protein synthesis is carried out by the ribosome which is a complex of proteins and RNA.  The ribosomal proteins, although essential for the correct function of the ribosome, provide only structural support to hold the rRNA in the correct conformation; the RNA acts as the catalyst for protein synthesis in the ribosome.

However, the ribosome can be denatured at high temperatures, since RNA secondary structure is succeptible to thermal denaturation.  In addition, heat will denature proteins upstream of translation such as RNA polymerase II, and the proteins involved in capping and polyadenylation (which are essential for producing the mRNA template for protein synthesis).

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:protein synthesis
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 08:42:41 AM »
RNA is definitely not a protein, but it shares some structural similarity that allows it to be denatured at high temperature, just like proteins.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links