May 19, 2024, 05:40:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating osmolarity of sports drinks  (Read 849 times)

Offline SP0RT0

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Calculating osmolarity of sports drinks
« on: May 06, 2024, 09:18:45 PM »
Hoping this is the correct forum (I'm not a chem student, I'm an engineer).  I'm trying to calculate the osmolarity of the components of sports drinks.  I've been able to calculate NaCl, KCl, CHO and the other easy components, but I'm struggling with citric acid (anhydrous), CaCO3, and trimagnesium dicitrate.  I have the mw (192, 100 and 451 respectively), for input to the osmolarity calc, but when it comes to the number of particles, I'm unsure how these three components dissociate in water.  Please help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Calculating osmolarity of sports drinks
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 04:14:42 AM »
These are not trivial. Citric acid is a weak acid and you actually need to calculate degree of dissociation for at least first two dissociation steps. CaCO3 will most likely neutralize some of the citric acid producing Ca2+ and CO2 (which will leave the solution). Trimagnesium dicitrate is the worst one, easier to measure than to calculate - but perhaps its amount is low enough to be negligible compared to NaCl/KCl?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SP0RT0

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Calculating osmolarity of sports drinks
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 09:40:27 PM »
Thanks - yes, good point re the very small amounts of mg, and ca for that matter, contributing only a few mmol/L.  I'll dig deeper into the citric acid dissociation.

Sponsored Links