May 11, 2024, 01:03:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: uv/ vis spectroscopy  (Read 4260 times)

Offline gaheat

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
uv/ vis spectroscopy
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »
hi every one:
I  am doing a case study on the uv/vis spectrometer and i have been asked to write about two componenets of the instrument that can be changed to suit a particular types of the analyses and two experimental conditions that can be changed as well.
I  would appreciate your help

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: uv/ vis spectroscopy
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »
Are you using a UV/VIS spectrometer or spectrophotometer?  There is a big difference in the instrument setup and parameters.  The spectrophotometer uses a monochromator to separate the individual wavelengths of light.  With a spectrometer, an interferogram is collected and transformed to a spectrum by means of a fourier transform. There are also diode array instruments that collect the entire spectrum at one shot by exposing it to an array of diodes, each representing a different wavelength of light.

If this doesn't ring a bell, can you list some of the parameters that are available to modify?

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: uv/ vis spectroscopy
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »
Let me go a little futher.

There is usually a relation between the length of time a UV/VIS spectrum takes and its quality.  This can take the form of "noise" (variations in the spectrum due to electrical noise), inaccuracies in the wavelength readings, or inaccuracies in the absorbance readings. 

Each type of instrument has a large number of different parameters.  And different manufacturers have different names for the same parameter.  That is what makes the question hard to answer.

Sponsored Links