May 08, 2024, 04:20:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Good Organic Chemistry Books  (Read 453008 times)

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Good Organic Chemistry Books
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2011, 10:58:46 AM »
@Alexpride
I agree that there are other mechanism based books. However, I am not as familiar with either to the level one achieves by using them in class. When you use them in class, you begin to get a sense of how they think students are to learn. I had a definite idea of how I thought students should learn. I thought more like a coach, you practice what you want to use in the game. I also avoided testing anything we didn't practice.

Re: differences in editions
This is simply my opinion on the economics of publishing. The chemistry used upon which the books are based has not changed and there is little (not no) new chemistry demanding inclusion. If teachers continued to use the same edition of a textbook, the used market would grow and author and publisher profit would diminish. There are a larger number of textbooks now than when I took organic chemistry. This reflects on the economics of publishing.

In the original post that I was answering, "Since I'm having hard time finding the topics in the textbooks…" In my opinion, this is one of the changes that I think is part of the new edition design. Adding more problems, adding chapters, etc., all result in changing the assignments. This is all part of a strategy to encourage adoption of a new edition.

Re: my books
My books are ancillaries. They are meant to supplement textbooks. They are also fairly short. The structure of the two workbooks (or the workbook with two versions) prevents including comments with the reactions. I added comments in an appendix. The handbook was written to fulfill a request by students who wanted something they could adopt to their problem, but did not want to practice writing the steps. This format allowed me to include the appendix notes into the reactions. As I did this fairly quickly, even I cannot give this book much praise. It does succeed in explaining several subjects, especially if my thinking may provide an alternate explanation to what you may find in a textbook.

Differences: The two versions differ in that one uses the pre-bonds and the other does not. You can read about this on my website, http://www.curvedarrowpress.com. My teaching philosophy was if our brains are pattern matching machines, then consistency improved learning and inconsistency interfered. I introduced pre-bonds (dashed lines where bonds will form) so all curved arrows were used unambiguously and consistently. Because pre-bonds are not part of all textbooks, I rewrote a version in which I removed all pre-bonds and used the conventional curved arrows. I have never used this book. I expect that I will abandon this version when the books are refreshed. (I have other ideas to help with adoption.)

I suggest getting the blue book. You can write your curved arrows any way you wish. No one will be looking over your shoulder. The most important thing is to understand which atoms become joined and where the electrons come from. The curved arrows are devices that help you to understand this. If you understand reactions, you can write out a mechanism by only writing the intermediates and skipping curved arrows completely. If you understand this, then you will understand that students who have used the pre-bonds can easily adjust to the other notation.

Other information: about curved arrows, http://www.curvedarrowpress.com/chem/curvedarrowsurvey/curvedarrowsurvey.html

Print out and do (I guarantee you can do them), Minisampler
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »
how about L.G Wade Organic Chemistry textbook
Juz give comments on it

I used this book this also and is really a good book to start organic chemistry .There are plenty of problems to work on also.

Offline devvaibhav

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2011, 08:21:17 AM »
Hi
I am a 11Th grade student and preparing for IITJEE. I am having problems in drawing resonating structures and lone pairs(i know that is dumb)..I searched for this and came to know about this book "Pushing Electrons: A Guide for Students of Organic Chemistry " By "Daniel P. Weeks". I didn't find much reviews about this book. By the way i already have "Organic Chemistry 9Th By " T.W. Graham Solomons and Craig B. Fryhle".
Should i purchase this book? Is there any website where i can see the preview of this book? Thanks and awaiting for reply..

Offline Mustafa28

« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2011, 05:30:40 AM »
Ask, i'll give you an easy 5 step explanation that will help you get very comfortable with drawing resonance structures.

It's one of the most poorly explained concepts and it can be tricky to get the hang of it based on the usual textbook explanations.

Edit by Borek: original proposition was against the site spirit.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:45:37 AM by Borek »

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2011, 03:51:57 AM »
I'm looking for a book that is beyond the scope organic chemistry I and II and focused on synthesis, mechanism, and such topics. I have 'March's Advanced' which is wonderful though is clearly written more so as a reference/support. I have been suggested Electron Flow in Organic Chemistry (Scudder) and Advanced Organic Chemistry: Part B (Carey/Sundberg) as post-OChem reading for more in-depth understanding of covered topics.

In short, I want to learn more-advanced reactions, their mechanisms, limitations, and so forth that organic I/II did not cover (eg. coupling, rearrangements, etc.). Any recommendations of where/how to start?
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline icho2013

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2011, 03:34:23 AM »
i think Jonathan Clayden : organic chemistry  is the best. :D

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2012, 02:36:50 AM »
Howdy.

I had a question for you guys about textbooks, most likely a lab book. I wanted to know - for organic chemistry/synthesis - if there is a book available that shows multitudes of reactions and how they can be arranged in the lab. Something that includes amounts needed (I guess percentages for reagents/solvents), apparatus setup necessary to perform the reaction given, and perhaps the mechanism of the reaction.

I'm assuming this would be a lab book. If you know of a book that is full of reactions that can be performed in the lab, please let me know!

I appreciate your time.

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2012, 07:29:08 AM »
I wanted to know - for organic chemistry/synthesis - if there is a book available that shows multitudes of reactions and how they can be arranged in the lab. Something that includes amounts needed (I guess percentages for reagents/solvents), apparatus setup necessary to perform the reaction given, and perhaps the mechanism of the reaction.

Try Vogel's Practical Organic Synthesis
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Ferrocene

• Very New Member
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »

Clayden, G, W and W!! ALWAYS!

Offline TVUW

• Very New Member
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
I am looking for a book that covers the steps in developing a synthesis.  For example, one would determine the raw materials, reagents, and initial rxn conditions.  Next, one may want to design experiments to determine the optimum conditions for the synthesis.  Next, one would scale up.  Within these steps there would be rxn monitoring, product purity determination, crystal morphology optimization, etc.  There seems to be many books that cover organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, or solid state characterization, but I have yet to see a guide in practical development.  Any guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.  I am having a hard time bringing the pieces together to gain a functional knowledge of the sort.

Offline pawelmitula

• Very New Member
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2012, 01:45:28 AM »
I suggest Morrison&Boyd, also McMurry - this book, especially new verison is very well ilustrated. Always You have to precisously what kind of chemistry You want study, eg. for NMR the best is Silversiten and there are not one book to everything, even for mechanism of reactions there are better books than this two above:)

Offline organic blues

• Very New Member
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
Organic Chemistry by John McMurry is a good find too.  :)

Offline UpbeatWhiz

« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »
Klein's Organic Chemistry as a second language  1 and 2 are amazing and just get right to the point.

Klein also has a textbook that was released as a first edition this year I believe, my school adopted to switch it this year. It is very easy to understand better than my general chem textbook for sure.

I also have a problem solving book which is really helpful, not sure who the author is though as I don't have it on me right now.

Offline dipesh747

• Mole Snacks: +7/-7
« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2012, 08:11:45 AM »
John Clayden is part of the academic staff at my university. He is brilliant, everyone should buy his book :)

Offline w4rlock

« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »
Can anyone offer opinions on the following texts?

Anslyn, Physical Organic Chemistry.

or

Vollhardt, Organic Chemistry.

Thank you

The Anslyn book is one of my all time favorite reads. Don't know about Vollhardt.
Vollhardt is an introductory book and not a great at that, imo. It's basically the same as Solomons but slightly less information as I recall, but I am not certain. And it is no where near as good as Solomons, Wothers, Smothers, etc, etc.

Vollhardt is great for undergrad especially if supplemented by P. Sykes A guidebook to mechanism in organic chemistry... actually I'm surprised that no one else mentioned Syke's guidebook. Yes, it's quite very old but the explanations are great and concise and a big plus is it's a paperback and quite light.

Nowadays I usually use the Carey Sundberg both volumes as a good reference point. March is pretty good but I prefer Carey for explanations and what not.

Vogel is of course an important reference point for practical chem. 

Sponsored Links