May 21, 2024, 11:16:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Very basic, but why is this a redox reaction, and why isn't this one?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Reyah

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey all!

This task has me puzzled:

Determine which of these chemical reactions that are redox reactions:
a) Na+ + Cl- -> NaCl
b) Cu2+ + Fe -> Cu + Fe2+
c) 2Na + 2H2O -> 2Na+ + H2 + 2OH-

I answered that A and C were redox reactions, but according to the book B & C are. Why is this?
I thought that redox reactions were classified by having both a reduction and an oxidization?, and as far as I can see B has two reductions...?

Anyways, any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Offline cpncoop

• Mole Snacks: +6/-3
Re: Very basic, but why is this a redox reaction, and why isn't this one?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
A redox reaction is a reaction that changes the oxidation state of one or more molecules during the course of the reaction.  In A, Na + + Cl - --> NaCl, there is no change is oxidation states from one side of the reaction to the other, Na is still +1, Cl is still -1 for the equation to be balanced.  In B, you go from Cu 2+ to Cu (O) and Fe (0) to Fe 2+, so the oxidation states change, and it is a redox reaction.  Using this same approach, you should be able to figure out why C is also a redox reaction.  But if you have trouble seeing why, please let me know.

Offline Reyah

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »
Thank you so much. I clearly see where I made my mistakes thanks to your explanation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1802/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:51:09 AM »
A redox reaction is a reaction that changes the oxidation state of one or more molecules during the course of the reaction.

Please explain what is oxidation state of molecule.

Can you give example of a redox reaction where oxidation state of only one molecule changes?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cpncoop

• Mole Snacks: +6/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:44 AM »
I apologize for my sloppy response.  Atoms have oxidation states, not molecules.  And as you point out, if one atom changes its oxidation state, another in the reaction must also change in an equal and opposite amount to maintain charge neutrality.... While I made some grammatical errors in my response, I think it helped the person solve the problem, and find your response a bit patronizing.

Sponsored Links