May 05, 2024, 03:15:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Okay, how do you determine this energy gap between orbitals?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline peterjones

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Okay, how do you determine this energy gap between orbitals?
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
Naphthalene has an intense maxima at λ= 370nm. This absorption is understood to be one of the
pi -> pi^*. How do you determine the energy gap in eV for this transition????

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Okay, how do you determine this energy gap between orbitals?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »
You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.

This is basically about converting wavelength to energy. What related formulas do you know?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline peterjones

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:01:27 AM »
You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.

This is basically about converting wavelength to energy. What related formulas do you know?

Well, thats reasonable. Its a bit late, now. so I'll struggle with this more tomorrow morning. But can you tell me, if I'm on the right track? the formula that comes to mind would be E=h times c / wavelength. The answer I get is 6.1425456e-25 Volts. then to convert to eV its 1 eV = 1 volt * 1/electron charge. thus its  6.1425456e-25 x1/ ( 1.60217657 × 10-19 coulombs) thus my final answer is 0.00000383387 or 3.73 x 10 ^-6 eV. Or am I totally wrong?

I feel like I am not taking into account the two energy levels, if I use that equation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 04:56:59 AM »
The answer I get is 6.1425456e-25 Volts

Good start, but it is definitely not volts. Watch your units!

I feel like I am not taking into account the two energy levels, if I use that equation.

You do. You just jump directly to the difference between these energy levels instead of treating each one separately.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline peterjones

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:28:51 AM »
The answer I get is 6.1425456e-25 Volts

Good start, but it is definitely not volts. Watch your units!

You do. You just jump directly to the difference between these energy levels instead of treating each one separately.

By the way, I believe I got it. besides getting the wrong units, I also used the speed of sound instead of the speed of light. I don't know why I did that. But I got my answer, I believe it should be 3.35 eV

Sponsored Links