May 17, 2024, 03:19:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pH and swimming pool  (Read 4969 times)

Offline tommygun999

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
pH and swimming pool
« on: August 04, 2012, 02:42:33 AM »
the ideal pH for swimming pools is between 7.2 and 7.8
why ? why is it so important for the pools pH between 7.2 and 7.8? why is this range of pH suitable for human ?

also i know Sodium Bisulfate and muriatic acid are used to lower pH in a pool
but can someone please explain the chemistry behind these reactions? so how exactly do these chemicals lower the pH ?

furthermore please explain the chemistry behind using sodium carbonate (soda ash) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to rise pH.
thank you

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: pH and swimming pool
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:48:57 AM »
Briefly, that pH range is the best, under typical environmental conditions, for maintain a reasonable concentration of free chlorine in the water, to keep algal and microbial populations down at a pleasant and safe level.  I really don't know what happens to human skin, eyes and mucus membranes at pH 7.1 or pH 7.9, possibly nothing.  But there are good reasons for general discomfort at pH extremes.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline tommygun999

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
does anyone know how exactly does those chemicals i mentioned above increase / decrease the pH ?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline tommygun999

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 03:08:14 AM »
sorry. but i couldn't see the information im looking for in the web site

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »
This is a primer for pH calculation. It helps you to understand pH changes of solution after addition some acidic or basic compounds.
AWK

Offline vansh123

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »
ph means potenz hydrogen ( German) which means that how much hydrogen molecules are present in that compound.
increase in hydrogen will mean decrease in the ph value
to learn how to calculate the ph value from hydrogen you need to study the chapter called equilibrium

the ph value of the swimming pool ranges from 7.2-7.8
this is because our body has got a ph value which is nearby the same
so if we drink water it must also range from aprox. 7- 7.8
which is called neutral.
Sodium Bisulfate and muriatic acid are acidic in nature so if you add more ions of H+ ions to the water its ph value will decrease thats why if the water is to alkali ( basic) these acids are used to neutralise it

in your last question it is just the opposite, there compounds are added which are basic in nature to increase the amount of OH- ions
so if the concentration of OH- is more than H+ then the substance is going to be basic in nature and if the conc of H+ is more then its going to be acidic in nature.
I think this should help you

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »
so if we drink water it must also range from aprox. 7- 7.8

Nonsense. Coca-Cola has pH below 4 and is quite safe to drink. Typical beer has pH around 4 and is quite safe to drink (just don't drink and drive, but it has nothing to do with the pH).

I am not going to comment on the rest, you have already shown you are commenting on things you have no idea about.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline vansh123

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:42 PM »
Im meaning that the water of the swimming pool comes in the contact of our body and has got acidic nature it can be dangerous.
Especially if it comes in the contact with our eyes.
So the same thing happens with coca cola if it would come in contact with our eyes
About beer i dont know really.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 08:22:34 AM »
The body is actually pretty good at handling a fairly wide range of pH. You can certainly drink vinegar (dilute acetic acid), coca-cola (dilute phosphoric acid), and orange juice (dilute citric acid) with no ill effects. Even getting them splashed on your skin, and yes, your eyes isn't that big a deal. It may sting for just a bit, but that's it. As for bases, you can eat solid calcium carbonate (Tums), and solid sodium bicarbonate is frequently applied directly to the skin for treating bee stings with absolutely no chance of burning. At one time, a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate was used like soap (natron).

That's a pH range of about 4 to about 10.

Sponsored Links