May 08, 2024, 05:07:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Use of Older Chemical Symbols  (Read 2365 times)

squee333

Use of Older Chemical Symbols
« on: August 25, 2023, 06:38:42 PM »
I've been looking at vintage periodic tables, and I prefer older symbols such as A for argon, E for einsteinium, Mv for mendelevium, and Lw for lawrencium. I know, however, that they're no longer recommended by IUPAC. That said, I have seen periodic tables from after the dates of the IUPAC recommendations (1957 for A/Ar, E/Es, Mv/Md; ~1964 for Lw/Lr) that have the older symbols, such as this one https://www.google.com/books/edition/Materials_Science/3JEkBAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=E+Fm+Mv+No+Lw&pg=PR2&printsec=frontcover and this one https://www.google.com/books/edition/DHHS_Publication_No_NIOSH/bjBx0drDo-wC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=E+Fm+Mv+No+Lw&pg=PA244&printsec=frontcover. What should I do, considering that I kind of want to use the older symbols but feel that I'd be breaking some sort of rule if I did?

Apologies if this is a silly question.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +172/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Use of Older Chemical Symbols
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 02:30:53 AM »
Why you want to use older outdated Symbols. Use the newer valid ones and everything is fine.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 03:24:31 AM »
You can call oranges potatoes and potatoes oranges if you want, nobody can stop you from that. Just don't be surprised if you will be sold not what you want, or if people will start making faces behind your back.

Element symbols are unified to facilitate communication. Nobody can force you to use the ones recommended by IUPAC, but if you start to use your own nobody will understand you nor treat you seriously.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

matangiind

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 07:02:45 AM »
Depends on your choice what to use. But make sure it is correct.

simon55

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 08:08:27 AM »
Why use older chemical symbols?

Sponsored Links