May 04, 2024, 02:36:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: best choice combination for preparation of 3-chloro-1-iodobutane...  (Read 5894 times)

Offline NewtoAtoms

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: best choice combination for preparation of 3-chloro-1-iodobutane...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »

Offline NewtoAtoms

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »
Thank you so much for your help Macman.

I have gone back to the drawing board with this question and due to your help have come to some more conclusions.

c. 1,3-Dichlorobutane + sodium iodide (1 mole) in acetone - As NaI is soluble in acetone, and the I- could substitute the 1-chloro- THIS IS MY NEW CHOICE!
d. 1,3-Diiodobutane + sodium chloride (1 mole) in acetone - After researching the productivity of NaCl in acetone I learned that it is insoluable, therefore this is also SCRATCHED
e. 3-Bromo-1-iodobutane + sodium chloride (1 mole) in acetone - I have researched leaving group priority and learned that Cl-<Br-<I- therefore I think it would be safe to say that in this reaction 1-iodo would leave first, therefore not giving the correct 3-chloro-1-iodobutane as a product... so this option is now SCRATCHED.

Therefore after more work, and I am so grateful for your help... I would have to propose that c is the correct answer.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »
Congrats, nice research!  I have actually done a similar reaction with 1-chloropropane and NaI in acetone.  It's pretty cool to see the solid NaCl come out of solution and it goes very cleanly (almost 100%). 

In addition, even if in e, we decided bromine and iodine were equivalent in leaving group ability, the iodine is primary and still favored over the secondary bromine.

Offline NewtoAtoms

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 05:04:45 PM »
Thank you macman for taking the time to walk me through the question.
I AM SO GRATEFUL!!!

Have a great day, and thank-you for helping me learn.

Sponsored Links