Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Engineering Forum

polymer in powder form

(1/3) > >>

josey.mathew:
hi
another q for the project i mentioned before
is there any polymer which is available in powder forem and which soldifies when some liquid comes in contact with it ???
Thanks a lot for your help.

eugenedakin:
Hi josey.mathew,

Chuckle... I have a good memory, but it is pretty short... :)

What type of properties are you looking for (hardness, temperature stability, material compatibility (stable in water), etc...

This might help us narrow down some of the options.

Sincerely,

Eugene

josey.mathew:
hi
what  i was luking for was a polymer which would be resonable hard (but not brittle) at room temperature. It should be stable at romm temperatures and it should not be soluble in water or any other common solvents in households..
Hope such a material exists !! :-\

eugenedakin:
Hi josey.mathew,

Hmmm... I was thinking along a different line... sorry.  I was thinking of a polymer which dissolves in water.  Most polymers need to be extruded.  I wish that I could help more, but unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas.

I wish you the best in your search.

Eugene

P:

--- Quote from: josey.mathew on July 11, 2007, 07:54:57 AM ---hi
what  i was luking for was a polymer which would be resonable hard (but not brittle) at room temperature. It should be stable at romm temperatures and it should not be soluble in water or any other common solvents in households..
Hope such a material exists !! :-\

--- End quote ---

How about something like bakelite or melamine formaldehyde.   OK, the MF resin is soluble in water to start with but this is how you get it as a liquid to start with  -  you set it in a mold with an acid curing agent and it cross links to make a hard polymer like bakelite.

Alternatively, how about some kind of silastic molding compound?  Starts as liquid  -  mix in curing agent and it sets (maybe too springy for your application - not sure)

What is the application here? It may help if we knew what it was intended for.

regards,

P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version