May 08, 2024, 11:52:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: identifying the oxidant and reductant and writing the relevant half equations  (Read 1965 times)

Offline ajax0604

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
From this equation 2Cu(NO3)2  :rarrow: 2CuO + 4NO2 + O2, I have identified that the same substance undergoes oxidation and reduction. The question wants the reductant and oxidant identified. Should I write Cu(NO3)2 or just NO3-, since it is the nitrate ion that is actually reacting. Would both be acceptable?

On a related problem, for this equation HNO2 + H2O2  :rarrow: HNO3 + H2O, does it matter whether you write the reduction half equation as NO2- + H2:rarrow: NO3- +2H+ +2e- or HNO2 + H2:rarrow: HNO3 +2H+ +2e- ?

Online Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +173/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
For the first question its enough to write the Ions, which undergo a reduction or oxidation. So NO3- is enough.

The second question: both is possible. Its not a mistake to write the acid or the Anion. Hydrogen ions any way present.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Nitrous acid is a weak one, so as long as we are talking about acid reacting I would prefer the HNO2 form. NO2- would be OK with me in any solution with pH above 4 (that automatically includes all solutions of salts of the nitrous acid).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links