May 17, 2024, 04:13:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solublize / emulsify talc or mg stearate  (Read 971 times)

Offline yotaichio

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solublize / emulsify talc or mg stearate
« on: January 07, 2020, 01:35:15 AM »
I dont have much knowledge in chemistry but I'm trying to emulsify or dissolve Talc/mg stearate into water.
I'm making effervescent tablets as a science experiment and use these as the lubricant.
However they form a layer of gunk on the water surface, I'm looking for any excipients to emulsify/solublize the gunk.

Thank you

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +323/-23
Re: Solublize / emulsify talc or mg stearate
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 11:10:59 AM »
It is a forum rule that you must show your attempt at solving a problem before we can help you.  Is this a project for a class?  What have you found so far?

Offline yotaichio

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Solublize / emulsify talc or mg stearate
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 08:29:37 PM »
Noted.
This is for my own start-up. I'm currently formulating.

I've came across emulsifiers/solublizers such as polysorbate 80 / Span 60
Polysorbate was in liquid form so it is unsuitable for manufacture via direct compression.
Span 60 is solid at room temperature with melting point of >50 degrees, on the brochure it says it can solublize silicates - which I hope refer to magnesium silicate - talc. Mesh size 60 so it seems like a viable source, my samples have not arrived yet, I cant tell for sure.

So far the ingredients I've seen so far in other competitors that I think negates this problem is Polysorbate and an ingredient called [dub hydrolub from stearinerie dubois(water soluble, anti foaming agent which is a lubricant)]

The sales team doesn't entertain customers with a small order quantity, I've tried them and their distributors with no luck so as much as I like to use dub hydrolub (for lubrication/anti foaming/0 gunk on surface) its does not seem to be an option.

I've seen a tiny layer of magnesium stearate from other effervescent tablet manufacturers "redoxon / berroca"
Which leads me to believe that their rotary press is the very expensive kind which can spray a layer of mg stearate lubricant unto the punch. Which is also not an option for me.

The only option now is to use a lubricant and emulsify it, other than span 60 which I have not tried, I'm unsure of what might be usable with my limited chemistry knowledge, thus I posted on this forum and hope that someone can give me a guiding hand on how to move on from here.

Thank you

Sponsored Links