May 20, 2024, 07:55:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to go from a 2, 3, or 4 carbon ketone/ald. to a 8 carbon OH?  (Read 4548 times)

Offline toadesque

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Let's say you want to have this as your final product:

OH
       |
C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C
    |
    C

And you have to start with

C-C=O

What are the steps you need to take to get there? I know this question will be on my exam so I really need to understand it. I think you have to start with Grignard reagent and turn the C=O group into OH right? But how do you get those 6 extra carbons to get the 8 total since you only started with 2?

Offline toadesque

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: How to go from a 2, 3, or 4 carbon ketone/ald. to a 8 carbon OH?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:39:27 AM »
anyone got something?

Offline lancenti

• Mole Snacks: +4/-4
    • Crystal Spires
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 03:41:22 AM »
Could I confirm whether it's an isopropyl group on the left / that it's a secondary alcohol you're after?

If it's a tertiary, then you'll want to use your grignard reagent twice - but remember that you have to 'reactivate' your functional group after the first time.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:04:37 AM »
This looks like an aldol condensation problem. So, start there.

The hard part is to make 3-methyl-1-butene. Take the aldol product and add (CH3)2CuLi to give isobutyraldehyde. Reduce, make bromide, eliminate to 3-methyl-1-butene, and make epoxide from it.

Reduce aldol product catalytically, reduce to alcohol, make bromide, then Grignard. Add to epoxide above and that should do it.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Scatter

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:02:10 AM »
Jesus.  This is really on an exam as an aldol problem?  Wow.  My Ochem course feels easy now.

Offline Orgchmartist

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 04:29:02 AM »
Using acetaldehyde as starting material, two molecular acetaldehyde condensed in the presence of suitable base to yield 1,3 unsaturated aldehyde, then this aldehyde was reduced under HCONH4 Pd/C to obtain butyraldehyde. butyraldehyde obtained from former step was undergo above condensation and reduction again then react with isopropylmagnesium chloride to give your desired compound.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:46:41 PM »
Let me add a correction to my suggested route. I did not name the aldehyde (it isn't isobutyraldehyde, see scheme) correctly. I think that is what Orgchmartist was correcting.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links