March 28, 2024, 09:11:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Grad school question  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Lemieux33

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Grad school question
« on: May 22, 2019, 12:56:39 AM »
I’m currently a junior, and with summer coming I was going to start looking for chemistry grad programs I am interested in. Anyways...

My problem is this. This semester I had a stroke and instead of taking the medical leave, I took a day off and went back to school. Tunnel vision, blinders... I had lab. Honestly, I didn’t think oh this traumatic I should take a break... it was more like this stroke is going to screw up my goals. I had motor skills problems for several weeks and had a tough time speaking but stuck it out and made it through to finals. My teachers were really good with me. But I did have some memory loss and it affected my physics course severely. I received a C- minus in the course, while not the end of the world, it certainly wrecked my gpa.

I’m a senior next year, and I want to go to grad school but I’m scared to apply with that on my record. I’m thinking about retaking it but I don’t know if I should. Would it affect me that much? I spoke to another prof about it, and he said with my math minor I should be ok to apply. I almost have enough upper division math credits for the double major- so it’s not the math in physics.

So that’s my issues, I’m looking for advice, and experiences. What should I do ? I can’t take it at a community college over this summer because it’s not being taught locally. I’d have to wait to spring to fit it in my schedule, or not take Pchem and be pushed back a whole year.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Grad school question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:48:21 AM »
FWIW I had a really bad semester in college, don't know why. Got a C+ in physical chemistry, which ironically is what I went on to study. Didn't hurt me getting into grad school. All my other grades were good and I had great test scores, plus I had an advocate on the faculty who I wanted to do my PhD with.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:31:11 PM »
I got B-/C+ in Pchem didn't stop me from getting into grad school.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 04:05:51 AM »
Oh, it happened to other people too?

I got nearly thrown out of the engineering school 1 and 2 years after A-level because of catastrophic evaluations in physics, especially electromagnetism. Later I developed the contactless chipcard and more, and am considered an expert for EM.

Offline Mariaded

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Grad school question
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 05:13:16 AM »
Im currently applying for grad school in the US and the schools often want to know which other programs I am applying to. Does anybody know why? Any advice on whats the best answer?

Normally I answer hontestly, of course, but I cannot imagine how an answer to this question would influence my attractiveness to the university.

I am thinking about leaving it blank, but would like second opinions first.

Thanks

:)

Sponsored Links